WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Guy

Re: WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Post by Guy » October 18th, 2015, 8:21 pm

adamschneider wrote:Here's what I've got so far including waypoints:
Hood.jpg
I'm debating whether or not to include Tamanawas Falls, East Zigzag, etc.; I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE. But I suppose "the line" could be the roads, which would mean Tamanawas and Zigzag are in, but Mirror Lake and Bonney Butte are out...
I have the same dilemma Adam! I think I've settled on all trails leading up the the mountain from the closest derivable roads around Hood. So like you I will include all of the zigzag mountain trails but not Mirror Lake or Tom Dick & Harry.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

johngo

Post by johngo » February 11th, 2016, 7:24 pm

This is a wonderful project, thanks for putting it together.

I can offer you some climbing routes track files for just about every major route on the mountain. (I've been up 14 different ones. =^)
Are you interested in those, or is this more of a hiking map project?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 11th, 2016, 7:51 pm

johngo wrote:Are you interested in those, or is this more of a hiking map project?
Hiking for now. I've never summited myself, so I'll let someone else deal with the ice-axe stuff.

Guy

Post by Guy » February 11th, 2016, 8:17 pm

johngo wrote:This is a wonderful project, thanks for putting it together.

I can offer you some climbing routes track files for just about every major route on the mountain. (I've been up 14 different ones. =^)
@ johngo I'd be very interested in seeing your 14 routes up Hood on Google Earth.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

johngo

Post by johngo » June 29th, 2016, 7:22 am

Guy wrote:
johngo wrote:This is a wonderful project, thanks for putting it together.

@ johngo I'd be very interested in seeing your 14 routes up Hood on Google Earth.
Guy,

If you go to Mazamas.org >> Resources >> Maps for hiking and climbing, you can see some KML files that I have posted for I think three different routes on Mount Hood (South side, Sunshine, Leuthold Couloir, of the top of my head . . .)

Download the KML file to your hard drive, double-click it, and it should launch Google earth and zoom in to that track.

So, I have not uploaded some of the more of obscure or technically difficult routes I have climbed, but maybe these three will give you an idea.

PS, at that link you will also find more KML files to about 50 additional climbing routes in the Pacific Northwest, enough to go Google earth surfing for a long time.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 9:44 am

adamschneider wrote:Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.
How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2016, 11:09 am

kepPNW wrote:How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
There's this, not a great amount of info surprisingly, but there's some.

- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 11:13 am

aiwetir wrote:
kepPNW wrote:How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
There's this, not a great amount of info surprisingly, but there's some.
Thanks, Michael. Yeah, and there's a good paper map in the FG, too. Which will certainly do. But it's nice to have electronic copies as well, and I haven't found that yet for the segment up Lamberson Spur trail.
Karl

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2016, 11:21 am

By the way, I think I've gotten to all of these trails on OSM where data was available. There sure are some strange gaps in the data though that I'd like to fill.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 11:26 am

aiwetir wrote:By the way, I think I've gotten to all of these trails on OSM where data was available. There sure are some strange gaps in the data though that I'd like to fill.
It's interesting to see that people are getting through on Bluegrass Ridge! Possible to know the time frame or volume(s) for that data?
Karl