WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
kepPNW

Re: WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Post by kepPNW » October 18th, 2015, 7:15 am

retired jerry wrote:oh, I just looked at switchbacks.com location of Tanner Cuttoff trail. It would have led me into the Devil's Club. Actual GPS tracks are better.

90% or more of the time switchbacks.com is good enough
Send him your track! http://switchbacks.com/upload/default.aspx
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 18th, 2015, 8:10 am

I know about the NWTopos maps... and it's obvious that a lot of the trails in that mapset come directly from USFS data. That's why I'm doing this! There's no doubt that it's helpful when people submit their own GPS track to OpenStreetMap or switchbacks.com, but it'll be MORE helpful if the submitted tracks come from a sensible "average" of multiple people's tracks, verified against aerial photos when feasible.

Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 18th, 2015, 9:05 am

I kind of got scared off by his warning about how he wants tracks taken.

And if it's a little off, it's just not worth the bother for me or him.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 18th, 2015, 9:08 am

adamschneider wrote:it'll be MORE helpful if the submitted tracks come from a sensible "average" of multiple people's tracks, verified against aerial photos when feasible.
Absolutely!!!
adamschneider wrote:Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.
Lookin' forward to it.
retired jerry wrote:I kind of got scared off by his warning about how he wants tracks taken.

And if it's a little off, it's just not worth the bother for me or him.
Don't be. Those are definitely old instructions. All (reasonable) corrections help countless others.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 18th, 2015, 9:33 am

I only edit OSM when I have good data and part of the process involves overlaying it on aerials and again usually the average of 6 tracks and if there's any doubt, I scour the interwebs for more GPX files.

FYI, generally you can't just plug a GPX file into OSM and have it be the route, it still takes a person to make the edits after determining the accuracy of the data.

I prefer OSM because there are tons of online routing options for trip planning.
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 18th, 2015, 9:59 am

aiwetir wrote:FYI, generally you can't just plug a GPX file into OSM and have it be the route, it still takes a person to make the edits after determining the accuracy of the data.
I know... and that's why I still have no clue how to mess with OSM data, and I'll leave it to people like you who've figured it out. :)

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 18th, 2015, 10:32 am

adamschneider wrote:I know... and that's why I still have no clue how to mess with OSM data, and I'll leave it to people like you who've figured it out. :)
It's actually quite easy. Drag and drop points and even just drag and drop your GPX on and it's there.
- Michael

Lurch

Post by Lurch » October 18th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Welcome to the addiction good sir! :D
addict.jpg
I haven't spent a whole lot of time working on the Clackamas County side of things, mainly just landmarks w/ a few trails on it.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 18th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Lurch wrote:Welcome to the addiction good sir! :D

I haven't spent a whole lot of time working on the Clackamas County side of things, mainly just landmarks w/ a few trails on it.
It's a serious affliction for which I hold you Lurch responsible :)
Hood.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 18th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Here's what I've got so far including waypoints:
Hood.jpg
I'm debating whether or not to include Tamanawas Falls, East Zigzag, etc.; I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE. But I suppose "the line" could be the roads, which would mean Tamanawas and Zigzag are in, but Mirror Lake and Bonney Butte are out...