WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

Re: WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2016, 11:38 am

kepPNW wrote: I haven't found that yet for the segment up Lamberson Spur trail.
There is a bit of the trail on OSM, I can't find any decent tracks beyond where I put it, even the last .5 miles seems a little dubious to me as I think that's straight off the USGS, before that it's just one guy's out and back track from where you first hit the ridge. The part up to the ridge is probably 4-5 people's out and back tracks. It should be good up to that last elbow where it turns straight west at what's labeled the 'staging area'
It's interesting to see that people are getting through on Bluegrass Ridge! Possible to know the time frame or volume(s) for that data?
Zooming in, that's one person's trip through there. Is it all blown down now?
No indication where that track comes from as it's not on the main product that they use the data for. I still suspect they've got access to Garmin Connect tracks.

Edit, my mistake, they added it in sometime between 2014 and 2015, but that doesn't mean it was recorded then.
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2016, 11:55 am

Well as luck would have it the guy who did it used the word Elk in the run description.

https://www.strava.com/activities/315843669
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I've been hearing nothing but doom and gloom for that Bluegrass Ridge route for several years now. Sounded like he concurred. Ah well. Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 29th, 2016, 3:12 pm

kepPNW wrote:I've been hearing nothing but doom and gloom for that Bluegrass Ridge route for several years now. Sounded like he concurred. Ah well. Thanks!
The bluegrass ridge area is indeed in rough shape.

I last hiked the bluegrass area in June 2013.

The bluegrass ridge trail was pretty bad. Lots of blowdown.

The bluegrass ridge tie trail was even worse. Tons of blowdown. the trail is invisible in many places.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 4:45 pm

-Q- wrote:
kepPNW wrote:I've been hearing nothing but doom and gloom for that Bluegrass Ridge route for several years now. Sounded like he concurred. Ah well. Thanks!

The bluegrass ridge tie trail was even worse. Tons of blowdown. the trail is invisible in many places.
Damn... :cry:
Karl

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 29th, 2016, 5:04 pm

kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.
How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
This is my work in progress: http://adamschneider.net/hiking/Mt_Hood.html — I have absolutely nothing yet for the Cold Spring Creek area.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 5:15 pm

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.
How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
This is my work in progress: http://adamschneider.net/hiking/Mt_Hood.html — I have absolutely nothing yet for the Cold Spring Creek area.
Okay, thanks, Adam! If I get out there, I'll let ya know.
Karl

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 29th, 2016, 6:03 pm

kepPNW wrote:
-Q- wrote:

Damn... :cry:
Damn is right.
Damn the mhnf for yet another huge failure.

Bluegrass ridge should be maintained, cared for, and supported. Its a great area in a great location. Could be one of hoods featured east side hikes.

Instead, it sits in rough shape, abandoned and ignored by the forest service.

How is mhnf allowed to be so inept and incompetent?!?!
AHHHHHHHHH :x
It's driving me nuts!!

Ok, sorry for the thread drift, rant, soapbox, etc

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 29th, 2016, 6:21 pm

-Q- wrote:Damn the mhnf for yet another huge failure.
Indeed. What a loss. I am so sick and tired of their utter ineptitude compared to every other NF that I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.
Karl

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 29th, 2016, 10:23 pm

If you do Lamberson CCW, it should be straightforward. Going CW you might get the wrong ridge if you aren't careful. Also if you carry a few GPS units with you it's probably enough data to put it in a map :D
- Michael