WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
kepPNW

Re: WANTED: Mt. Hood GPS tracks

Post by kepPNW » June 30th, 2016, 9:08 am

aiwetir wrote:If you do Lamberson CCW, it should be straightforward. Going CW you might get the wrong ridge if you aren't careful. Also if you carry a few GPS units with you it's probably enough data to put it in a map :D
LOL! Could definitely create a few tracks. (And would absolutely go CCW!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 30th, 2016, 10:50 am

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Once I've got a nice complete set, I'll be putting the files online where anyone can download them, including the switchbacks.com guy and OpenStreetMap volunteers.
How's this coming along, Adam? (I'm looking for tracks along Cold Spring Creek and Lamberson Spur trails, right now.)
This is my work in progress: http://adamschneider.net/hiking/Mt_Hood.html — I have absolutely nothing yet for the Cold Spring Creek area.
Most excellent. Thanks! I did notice that the creek crossing symbol over the Sandy is missing where the Sandy River Trail meets the PCT. I highlighted it in yellow here. And, I am unsure if you want this, but here is a gps track that is for the Old Vista Ridge Trail to Owl Point and Red Hill (offtrail). Guy might have one that goes all the way to Perry Lake, or even Lawrence.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 30th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Perry Lake would be useful, I was just looking at that this morning, not a lot of digital files out there on this. It may be my next hike just for this reason.

EDIT:
Wait, that gpx is the "old trail" to Owl Point? The one that the FS keeps taking the sign down? I never quite figured out what was supposed to be what. I just updated OSM on that this morning, then did what I could to Perry Lake but it's not very accurate afaict
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 30th, 2016, 5:35 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:Most excellent. Thanks! I did notice that the creek crossing symbol over the Sandy is missing where the Sandy River Trail meets the PCT. I highlighted it in yellow here.
You mean the Ramona Falls Trail, right?
sprengers4jc wrote:And, I am unsure if you want this, but here is a gps track that is for the Old Vista Ridge Trail to Owl Point and Red Hill (offtrail). Guy might have one that goes all the way to Perry Lake, or even Lawrence.
Yeah, I'm torn on how far out to go. Tom Dick & Harry? Tamanawas Falls? Burnt Lake? You gotta draw a line somewhere. :)

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 30th, 2016, 7:34 pm

26/35/Cooper Spur/16 Road/Lolo Pass are the logical boundaries, but are a big area.

Are you familiar with the Strava thing I'm using to update OSM? I'm doing much of what you are working on but usually by "averaging" many more tracks.
- Michael

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » June 30th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Yes, I did mean the Ramona Falls Trail. When I clicked on the section of track, it was labeled as Sandy River so I went with that :). I figured since the Owl Point trail leaves from the same trailhead as Vista Ridge, it might make sense to include it :) And yes, that is the one that the FS keeps pulling down the signs for. >:(
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 30th, 2016, 7:57 pm

aiwetir wrote:Are you familiar with the Strava thing I'm using to update OSM? I'm doing much of what you are working on but usually by "averaging" many more tracks.
Not very familiar... I saw something about it, but my brain is full already. :)

The OSM tracks are helpful though... it's obvious when someone like you has been in fixing things up, and I do use them as a guide. So keep 'em coming!
sprengers4jc wrote:Yes, I did mean the Ramona Falls Trail. When I clicked on the section of track, it was labeled as Sandy River so I went with that :)
Oh right... the trail starting from the Ramona Falls Trailhead is OFFICIALLY the "Sandy River Trail." The northern leg of the loop is the RF Trail.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » June 30th, 2016, 8:43 pm

adamschneider wrote: Not very familiar... I saw something about it, but my brain is full already. :)

The OSM tracks are helpful though... it's obvious when someone like you has been in fixing things up, and I do use them as a guide. So keep 'em coming!
It essentially takes Strava's whole set of GPS tracks and uses some kind of advanced mathematical formula to slide the OSM ways onto the "average" of the GPS tracks. So if the track is close, it just slides it over onto the top of the darkest area. It takes some tweaking on switchbacks, but it's essentially a pretty accurate set of GPS tracks now. Below is the Ramona Falls area, should look familiar. You can see each point of the GPS track as a tiny blue dot on the map. Now if we could just get the streams mapped the same way.

I take it for granted now, but it's pretty amazing what it's doing and it's made a lot of what people are doing with mapping obsolete because you can fix a couple miles of trail with one click now.

- Michael