Free maps, GPS tracks and KML files for NW peaks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
johngo

Free maps, GPS tracks and KML files for NW peaks

Post by johngo » July 30th, 2015, 10:08 am

Hello trail friends,

Here's my first post on this forum. (About me: former wilderness ranger, MS in Geography/Cartography, and map and compass/GPS instructor.)

I have not joined before because I am more interested in mountaineering than hiking, but looking at the trip reports I see lots of interest in mountaineering and scrambling peaks, so I want to offer this up.

The Mazamas, a hiking and mountaineering organization based in Portland, have just added some great new resources to increase your navigation confidence in the backcountry.

For more than 50 of the most popular mountain routes in the Northwest, www.mazamas.org > Resources > Maps for Hiking and Climbing now has:

1) PDF maps with the route redlined
2) GPX track files, ready to load to your GPS or smartphone
3) KML Google Earth files
4) exact latitude longitude coordinates for trailheads

There’s a full explanation of all of these resources at the link below. These navigation resources are free and open for everyone to use, Mazama member or not. As they are my creation, please send all cheers and jeers my way.

Link: http://mazamas.org/resources/maps-for-c ... nd-hiking/

Hopefully these free resources will increase your navigation confidence and off trail fun in the Pacific Northwest.

Belay On,
JohnGo

mjirving

Re: Free maps, GPS tracks and KML files for NW peaks

Post by mjirving » August 6th, 2015, 6:12 pm

"Like"
Thanks!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 7th, 2015, 5:55 am

Some of those red line tracks may require a rope, helmet and a schedule to keep!

Welcome to the site trail friend and thanks for the resource, I'll check it out.

:)

johngo

Post by johngo » February 11th, 2016, 6:51 pm

Eric,

Yes, some of them definitely will.
Many of these rules require technical climbing skills, ropes, belaying, crampons, ice axe, etc.