GPX elevation clean-up program recs?

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
sprengers4jc

Re: GPX elevation clean-up program recs?

Post by sprengers4jc » May 19th, 2015, 9:23 am

Yay, that worked great! New track, fixed with GPS visualizer using 'Add DEM' as 'best available source' and under 'advanced,' 'track point distance threshold' set to '4m.' There's even a way to connect segments that may have dropped data.

New track:
map_lp_fix.png
Old track:
map_lp.png
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 19th, 2015, 9:25 am

When it comes down to it, the only way to get a near-perfect measure of elevation gain/loss would be to make a note of every time you switch from "up" to "down" or vice versa, and then measure ONLY the gain/loss between those control points.

GPS data just isn't accurate enough on the Z-axis; most of the time you'll get a better number with a topo map and a calculator!

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » May 19th, 2015, 9:37 am

Yeah, and I definitely realize that short of using a dedicated GPS, I will be compromising on my data (and even then, sometimes, it seems). But for my purposes of tracking, this works great and gets me 95% of what I need. Thank you very much :D .
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2015, 9:55 am

miah66 wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Btw, I noticed in miah's example that the filter seems to have removed the timestamps as well?
I noticed that after you mentioned it! However, on my next example of Tumala Mtn the data is definitely still there. Weird. Notice that the elevation difference is even more profound here.
Wow! I was gonna say "it even messed with your speed!", too. But apparently it didn't? 4mph average moving speed??? (Gonna make me feel like a real boat anchor, here!)
adamschneider wrote:When it comes down to it, the only way to get a near-perfect measure of elevation gain/loss would be to make a note of every time you switch from "up" to "down" or vice versa, and then measure ONLY the gain/loss between those control points.
And even with that precaution, perhaps only after 2 or 3 consecutive points showed the same directional change. I remember seeing one guy, who I'll refrain from naming, gain over 500' of elevation while sitting still and eating lunch on top of a mountain once! Heh...
sprengers4jc wrote:Yeah, and I definitely realize that short of using a dedicated GPS, I will be compromising on my data (and even then, sometimes, it seems).
Right. The barometer doesn't always dampen the error. Sometimes, in strong winds, it'll add to the chatter!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 19th, 2015, 10:10 am

Wow! I was gonna say "it even messed with your speed!", too. But apparently it didn't? 4mph average moving speed??? (Gonna make me feel like a real boat anchor, here!)
Lol, Karl! I hate to give away the secret of my super-speed...but not to worry, I finished the last mile of my hike on a bike riding downhill! BOOM!

:lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 19th, 2015, 10:16 am

miah66 wrote:
Lol, Karl! I hate to give away the secret of my super-speed...but not to worry, I finished the last mile of my hike on a bike riding downhill! BOOM!

:lol:
WHEW!!!!! :lol:

I mean, it's one thing when Sean does it, but mere mortals??? :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...