iOS 8.3 keeps GPS active in airplane mode

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
aiwetir

iOS 8.3 keeps GPS active in airplane mode

Post by aiwetir » May 12th, 2015, 11:35 pm

I just discovered this today by accident. I haven't tested it in the field, but this solves a long standing issue with iPhones and iOS with ease of use and battery life.

In the past airplane mode would turn off the GPS. To preserve your battery you had to lock your SIM card and reboot the phone to use the GPS without battery drain from signal searching. Now you just have to toggle airplane mode. Sweet.

Referenced in this article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234
- Michael

sprengers4jc

Re: iOS 8.3 keeps GPS active in airplane mode

Post by sprengers4jc » May 13th, 2015, 6:49 am

That's kind of crazy that it's just now available. Android has had this feature for years. Using a phone GPS would be all but useless without this ability so I'm glad iOS users now have it as an option.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 13th, 2015, 7:04 am

What sprengers4jc said. How is that only just now happening for iphone?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 13th, 2015, 9:22 am

I don't know why it's just shown up, but there was a workaround, I just didn't like it. It was one of the most annoying things when I switched to iOS from Android.
- Michael

johngo

Post by johngo » February 11th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Yes, this is a dramatic improvement to battery life for the iPhone when recording a track.

And also yes, apparently Android has had this feature for several years, no surprise . . .

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 11th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Apparently with Android and some apps you have to run a second app to keep the GPS alive during sleep.
- Michael

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 15th, 2016, 11:36 am

aiwetir wrote:Apparently with Android and some apps you have to run a second app to keep the GPS alive during sleep.
No, this isn't accurate. Something like GPS airtime will help get more accurate readings but it's not necessary in order to use any Android phone's gps in airplane mode.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 15th, 2016, 10:49 pm

sprengers4jc wrote:No, this isn't accurate. Something like GPS airtime will help get more accurate readings but it's not necessary in order to use any Android phone's gps in airplane mode.
Yeah, that's the app. I never read the fine print, but I've heard it can make the difference between a usable and unusable track for some users.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 17th, 2016, 9:47 am

aiwetir wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:No, this isn't accurate. Something like GPS airtime will help get more accurate readings but it's not necessary in order to use any Android phone's gps in airplane mode.
Yeah, that's the app. I never read the fine print, but I've heard it can make the difference between a usable and unusable track for some users.
There seems to be some confusion among Android programmers on how best, and when, to keep the GPS signal alive. Some apps will let go of it, when they're not in the foreground, to preserve battery. Without commenting on how "thoughtful" such programming may be, it's these that need the little extra help.

Eg,
Karl
Back on the trail, again...