Oregon online public land maps with geolocation

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Joseph Elfelt

Oregon online public land maps with geolocation

Post by Joseph Elfelt » December 29th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Most states, including Oregon, have detailed information showing the boundaries of various kinds of public land at the federal, state and local level. Government agencies also have all kinds of map information that is useful for all kinds of outdoor activities from hiking to hunting to 4-wheeling to horse riding to boating to fishing and everything in between.

I have started a project to locate that data where it is hosted on Geographical Information System (GIS) servers and produce online maps so everyone has a super easy way to see and use that data. The types of GIS data that these online maps will display include:

1. Boundaries of public land
2. Recreation features such as picnic areas, campgrounds, boat launches, trailheads, etc
3. Fishing and hunting information
4. Habitats
5. Public safety including wildland fires and earthquakes

So far I have completed online maps for several states, including Oregon. The type of data that is available varies by state. I have also completed several national level online maps.

Below is the homepage link for this project. Please take a moment to read through the text before you start playing with the map links. Also, if you want to get the most out of these maps, be sure to read the “Tips”.

Public land map homepage:
http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map.html

Want to see the legend for a map? Click the “About this map” link in the upper left corner.

All of these online maps are displayed by Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that I developed. Using the same software to display all of this GIS data from coast-to-coast means you see a consistent interface based on the familiar Google maps and you also get the same broad feature set for every map.

For those that are GIS savvy (or would like to be) you can peek under the hood and see how the magic works by visiting my GIS page (written at a newbie level):
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_gis-viewer.html

Wait... there’s more... or soon will be.

Most GIS features you see on these maps have more information (called “attributes”) stored on the GIS server. Currently Gmap4 does not let you click a GIS symbol and see the attribute data. I plan to add that feature this winter.

Enjoy!

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

miah66

Re: Oregon online public land maps with geolocation

Post by miah66 » December 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Joseph,

Really appreciate your efforts on this!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider