Online trail map for Aspen - Amazing mapping example

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Peabody

Online trail map for Aspen - Amazing mapping example

Post by Peabody » November 30th, 2014, 12:35 pm

I've been looking at various online maps that focus on hiking trails. This one from the City of Aspen and Pitkin County is one of the best I've seen. How fun would it be if there was something like this for the trails in the PNW?

Main page

Straight to the map

This is the organization that created the site GreenInfo Network

edit: Using the Trail Route planner I create a custom route Link
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

miah66

Re: Online trail map for Aspen - Amazing mapping example

Post by miah66 » December 3rd, 2014, 2:14 pm

You're right, that is pretty BA!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Martell

Post by Martell » December 3rd, 2014, 2:31 pm

The Field Guide had the ability to attach a GPX file to a hike and display it on a map, but there's never been a ton of interest in people submitting the files. If there were enough GPX files, they could be combined into something like this. That trip planner is way beyond anything the Field Guide had though- very cool.

I think some other people may have attempted similar things.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Krystle

Post by Krystle » December 24th, 2014, 4:23 pm

This is incredible. I would totally share GPX tracks with this.

Koda

Post by Koda » December 24th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Peabody wrote:How fun would it be if there was something like this for the trails in the PNW?
gpsies.com has been doing this for years. So has other sites like gpsfly.com. Both are world wide databases and certainly cover most all of the local trails around here.
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=pibfgvujjpbiudad

Portland hikers already has the ability to add gmap4, gpsfly and hillmap links and in-line displayed mapsets which include GPX files to share... and all of these have been used on this site from time to time. Its an excellent idea to add such a map feature to each field guide listing but the problem with that is the time it would take.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 30th, 2014, 8:18 am

A pretty good resource for the NW and something similar to this is found at www.outdoorproject.com. There is a level of membership required for full access to tracks and/or maps, for instance, but last I was aware, it was free to sign up. Great for finding ideas and good photography. They are always looking for contributors.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 30th, 2014, 11:07 am

Thanks for posting these other sites. I enjoy looking at (and critiquing) what's out there.

@koda
gpsies.com & gpsfly.com allow users to upload a static gps track. If I'm route planning I have to sort through numerous tracks uploaded by users in order to find one that matches the route I'm planning.
The mapping feature in the Aspen map gives me the capability to build a custom a track by selecting individual segments. If we had an Aspen type map for this area I could quickly build a custom track showing the route, including elevation changes, from Mt Defiance to Angles rest. I think both gpsies.com & gpsfly.com are excellent sites for uploading and searching for static GPS tracks but they don't have the capability to create custom tracks.

@miah66 Not sure where they're heading with this site. The overall business concept reminds me of a lot of trails.com. If I had to give constructive criticism it would be clean up the interface by a factor of 10. There is way to much going on making it hard to navigate. The site mentions a goal to be the go-to place for current trail conditions. I think it's extremely unlikely that people would be motivated enough to go to a commercial site, login, and post that info in such quantities and frequency that it would make it viable. I also think that outdoor information is best filtered by "Region" and "Activity". One of the reasons for the success of portlandhikers.org is that the region and activity are clearly defined. I'm would not be interested in vermonthikers.org or oregonkayakers.org because the region/activity fall outside of my interest.

IMHO Twitter would be the right social media tool to disseminate current conditions. Twitter is a proven avenue for deseminating news. It's simple and doesn't require a lot of effort to use. For example:

@phorg Larch Mt. snow started @ 3300ft. 3 inches at the top.

Now we just need the PH board to create a twitter account we can all follow. :idea:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Koda

Post by Koda » December 30th, 2014, 11:54 am

Peabody wrote:The mapping feature in the Aspen map gives me the capability to build a custom a track by selecting individual segments.
but does the Aspen map combine the tracks into one? Because if it doesn't then you cant create a custom route to import to your gps device! It doesnt seem much different than gpsies etc.

Web utilities such as Gpsies and Hillmap lets you draw a continuous track (to download) freehand by tracing the trail shown but that is slightly time consuming.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 30th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Koda wrote:but does the Aspen map combine the tracks into one?
Yes, that's what makes the Aspen website unique.
― E.B. White

Koda

Post by Koda » December 31st, 2014, 8:39 am

your right,
that is a useful feature.

If only all of these independent map application creators would collaborate.