PNW trails managed by the USFS - Google Earth

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Peabody

PNW trails managed by the USFS - Google Earth

Post by Peabody » October 27th, 2014, 6:19 pm

I ran across a couple of Google maps created by the USFS showing the trails they maintain in the PNW. Both appear to be recently added (10/10/2014 & 10/21/2014)

Trails for the Pacific Northwest- Managed by the US Forest Service

Trails and Trailheads in Oregon and Washington US Forest Service

KMZ - trail

Let the "crowd sourcing review" begin. :D

They are large files and may take a minute to display, zooming in on the map also helps.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

mcds

Re: PNW trails managed by the USFS - Google Earth

Post by mcds » October 28th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Someone hasn't read this thread, obviously.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2014, 12:28 pm

That's the only thing I looked at

I think it doesn't show the bottom of Vista Ridge Trail

And doesn't show the trail to Owl Point

But I'm not sure exactly where those are

mcds

Post by mcds » October 28th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Not USFS system trails.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2014, 12:38 pm

why isn't the trailhead shown, at the end of the trail shown?

where is the actual trailhead?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Looked at Field Guide

Their map shows the Vista Ridge Trail correctly.

The Vista Ridge Trailhead is shown at the incorrect location.

I noticed other trailheads at incorrect location, such as the Top Spur trailhead

Peabody

Post by Peabody » October 28th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Too funny, that was also the area I looked at first.

To be fair here is a map disclaimer on the USFS website. I have no idea how to reconcile the first two sentences. The USFS website for Vista Ridge trailhead also shows the TH in that location.

About these Maps ~ Stay Safe
These maps are provided for trip planning and orientation purposes only. They are not intended for navigation. Please be sure to obtain a good quality, detailed topographic map before heading out into the forest/grassland, particularly in the backcountry and Wilderness areas.
Make local inquiries about road and trail conditions in remote areas. Some roads are impassable following severe weather.
Accuracy of the road and terrain information from Google Maps has not been verified.
Always seek private landowners’ permission before using or crossing their lands.
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) data and product accuracy may vary. They may be: developed from sources of different accuracy, accurate only at certain scales, based on modeling or interpretation, incomplete while being created or revised, etc. Using GIS products for purposes other than those for which they were created may yield inaccurate or misleading results. The Forest Service reserves the right to add, correct, update, modify, or replace GIS products without notification.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 28th, 2014, 5:36 pm

While I applaud the effort (it is vastly superior to the "upgrade" the FS did on their website a few years ago), the quality of the data is highly variable. Some is not too bad, some is terrible and some is outright wrong. And that is just the areas I'm familiar with.

Without some sort of quality control checks, it is of limited usefulness, IMO.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson