Offline topo map viewer for Android phone

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Chazz

Offline topo map viewer for Android phone

Post by Chazz » August 22nd, 2014, 8:37 am

I've heard that BackCountry Navigator (BCN) is the app that most people use to view topo maps on their phone when no data connection exists. Is there any other Android app that has a similar feature that costs less than the $12 for BCN?

kepPNW

Re: Offline topo map viewer for Android phone

Post by kepPNW » August 22nd, 2014, 8:55 am

One I've played with is ViewRanger GPS, which is free. You need to download the maps you want ahead of time, though, and that's a hassle. If you buy the app, I'm pretty sure they offer a national database that will work offline, and they occasionally offer fairly good deals on that. With the free trial, you can at least find out if you're otherwise satisfied with what the app offers. (I haven't bought it.)

Another to look at is Avenza's PDF Maps, if you're mainly after a way to view topo maps. (It doesn't offer other GPS features like tracking.) It'll show you where you are on any GeoPDF file. You can download all the USGS and USFS GeoPDF topo maps for free. There are all sorts of other free GeoPDF sources, as well.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 22nd, 2014, 8:56 am

Just buy BCN. It's worth it.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » August 24th, 2014, 5:59 am

adamschneider wrote:Just buy BCN. It's worth it.
Ditto.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 25th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Yes, I have BCN, too. I got tired of screwing with the free ones that never worked. This works, consistently.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 25th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Backcountry Navigator is good but it has twice locked up my Motorola Droid RAZR phone which was very annoying. I've never had any other app do that.