Newbie GPS questions

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Waffle Stomper

Re: Newbie GPS questions

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 8th, 2014, 12:46 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Waffle Stomper wrote:Oh, oh another lesson, learning how to link gpsfly correctly.
Been waiting for someone to ask that!
Thanks, I'll leave it that way so there is a before and an after in this thread. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Re: Newbie GPS questions

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 8th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Great information everyone I need to practice more, especially in wooded areas. Time to start geocaching again.
These were some really bizarre deviations, though. I almost suspect the GPS was carried differently in and out? My track of the same hike didn't do get all ziggy in that same spot (near the big switchback). And it does appear a break was taken there - maybe an equipment adjustment too?
The gnarly spot is where a break was taken on the way up and I didn't remove my pack or gps, the track seems pretty consistent with yours at that point. The all ziggy was on trip down with a prior break taken at the lake (small gnarly) with some pack adjustments made there . Otherwise it was carried in the same spot attached to my shoulder strap riding nearly on top. I'm thinking that was probably the best place to locate it. I'm going to think what I may have done differently on the way down at that location. It does come together at some point. Hmmmmm, the mystery thickens.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir