USGS Fail!

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
AAdamsPDX

Re: USGS Fail!

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 23rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

Is that in fact the divide between the St. Helens and Adams ranger districts?! Still, not exactly the monument. :D
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 23rd, 2015, 3:46 pm

AAdamsPDX wrote:Is that in fact the divide between the St. Helens and Adams ranger districts?! Still, not exactly the monument. :D
Is there a St. Helens Ranger District?
retired jerry wrote:mt st helens national volcanic monument?
Yeah, afaik, that doesn't go south of the Lewis River.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 23rd, 2015, 3:51 pm

kepPNW wrote:
AAdamsPDX wrote:Is that in fact the divide between the St. Helens and Adams ranger districts?! Still, not exactly the monument. :D
Is there a St. Helens Ranger District?
retired jerry wrote:mt st helens national volcanic monument?
Yeah, afaik, that doesn't go south of the Lewis River.
Okay, this is weird! Just looked at my (2003) Mt. Adams Ranger District map, and it too shows the MSHNVM/MARD boundary to be exactly where the NG map shows it! But if you do a Google image search, nothing even comes close to replicating that.
  • CCI12232015_0001.jpg
    Mt. Adams Ranger District map (2003)
    CCI12232015_0002.jpg
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 23rd, 2015, 6:52 pm

that makes no sense the monument would go that far south

maybe there's an error in mt Adams map that got replicated in nat geo map?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 23rd, 2015, 6:54 pm

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 843476.pdf

nope - monument does go that far south - is that just what you said? :)

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » December 23rd, 2015, 7:28 pm

There is the Mt St Helens Monument that retired jerry linked to. This is what I typically think of when the word monument is used.
There is also the Mt St Helens Monument Administrative Area that includes the NF lands in the Green, Toutle and Lewis River drainages. It's almost wedge shaped. It goes almost to Riffe lake on the north side, Silver Star on the south side, includes Mt St Helens on the west side and goes to the Mt Adams Wilderness on the east side. I've always referred to it as the Mt St Helens Ranger District.

ETA: Here's a link to my Mt St Helens Ranger District map. http://www.discovernw.org/store_mount-s ... 02238.html

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2015, 7:06 am

retired jerry wrote:http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 843476.pdf

nope - monument does go that far south - is that just what you said? :)
Yep, that's the map I'm most accustomed to, and it shows the NVM going only to the Lewis River.
Markh752 wrote:There is the Mt St Helens Monument that retired jerry linked to. This is what I typically think of when the word monument is used.
There is also the Mt St Helens Monument Administrative Area that includes the NF lands in the Green, Toutle and Lewis River drainages. It's almost wedge shaped. It goes almost to Riffe lake on the north side, Silver Star on the south side, includes Mt St Helens on the west side and goes to the Mt Adams Wilderness on the east side. I've always referred to it as the Mt St Helens Ranger District.

ETA: Here's a link to my Mt St Helens Ranger District map. http://www.discovernw.org/store_mount-s ... 02238.html
Now that's one I was not aware of! And sure enough, if I follow the text far enough, it does include "Administrative Area." National Geographic missed that distinction, as well. Thanks!
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 24th, 2015, 7:16 am

oh, yeah, didn't look at that close enough, I was seeing the Columbia, not Lewis, but Mark seems to have an answer :)

the internets has ruined my attention span

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » December 24th, 2015, 1:08 pm

kepPNW wrote:National Geographic missed that distinction, as well.
I was looking at my NatGeo map for the Monument (not the Admin Area), and in three separate spots along the border of the Admin Area it's labeled as the Mount St. Helens R.D. At least they got that right. :lol:

ETA: I flipped the map over and it has the east end of the Admin Area and two more labels for the Mount St. Helens R.D. The map doesn't have the Silver Star area. I don't want to buy the Columbia Scenic Area map to get the Silver Star area since it's not labeled correctly. :lol: