GPS for Iphone?

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
woodswalker

GPS for Iphone?

Post by woodswalker » April 4th, 2014, 9:54 am

Hi all, One last GPS question. I've browsed all the threads and it seems Backcountry Navigator is well thought of. But it's only available for Android phones. I see Gaiagps has it's fans too and does work for iphone. Anyone who has used both want to compare?
By the way I read recently that the famous and wonderful Gorge Mapset might someday soon be available for phones!! I say yes to this and big thanks for all the efforts. Thanks for helping me in my efforts towards getting a phone that actually has a workable camera and gps.
Woodswalker aka cellphonestorewalker

BrianEdwards

Re: GPS for Iphone?

Post by BrianEdwards » April 4th, 2014, 11:51 am

MotionX GPS for iphone is excellent. You can easily download maps to use on it when there's no cell service.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 4th, 2014, 11:55 am

Thanks Brian! How are they for trails as opposed to streets Any other faves out there.
Woodswalker

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 4th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Gaia GPS is what I use on my iPhone. It's awesome. Drag a window around the area you want and pick your resolution and it downloads the maps. Used it on Table Mtn this morning. I like the ability to select and blend multiple map types and custom blend them. The shadowing one with topo looks awesome. Very easy to see elevations visually.

-GoalTech

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » April 4th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Thanks,This is very helpful, Gaia sounds like another good one to check out. It's great to get feedback from people who are knowledgeable about trails and work-ability locally.
Woodswalker

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 22nd, 2015, 7:50 am

NorthMan wrote:I would recommend Spyglass – it’s a great navigational toolkit for different purposes. It’s top-notch for off-road and on-road navigation, hiking and traveling. It’s crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. It can read pre-downloaded maps later when offline and provides you with extremely precise information. https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/i ... 1lLc7&ct=c
thanks I'm trying out Gaia, and another program, I will check out spyglass
Woodswalker

johngo

Post by johngo » July 30th, 2015, 9:58 am

I highly recommend Gaia GPS.

The variety of different map layers you can use, the interface for downloading different map layers is very slick, and the app developers really really care about improving their product. I have downloaded probably eight different backcountry GPS apps over the years, and Gaia is the best. For what it's worth, I am an instructor and wilderness navigation for the Mazamas, and take pride in researching what's best for my students.

I made a video tutorial about how to use Gaia. It's pretty short and to the point, and give you a good overview of the features that you will use the most.

If you search YouTube for "Columbia river orienteering club" that brings you to my channel, which has a range of navigation and mapping and GPS tutorial videos.

Enjoy,
John
Last edited by johngo on February 11th, 2016, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » July 30th, 2015, 6:09 pm

johngo wrote:I highly recommend Gaia GPS.

The variety of different math layers you can use, the interface for downloading different math layers is very slick, and the app developers really really care about improving their product. I have downloaded probably eight different backcountry GPS apps over the years, and Gaia is the best. For what it's worth, I am an instructor and wilderness navigation for the Mazamas, and take pride in researching what's best for my students.

I made a video tutorial about how to use Gaia. It's pretty short and to the point, and give you a good overview of the features that you will use the most.

If you search YouTube for "Columbia river orienteering club" that brings you to my channel, which has a range of navigation and mapping and GPS tutorial videos.

Enjoy,
John
Thanks, I am definitely loving Gaia. I'm primarily using caltopo maps, which are accurate in some areas, but not in others. I'm starting to investigate other maps that are better or more recent and will check out your video.

johngo

Post by johngo » July 31st, 2015, 7:18 am

woodswalker wrote:
johngo wrote:I highly recommend Gaia GPS.

The variety of different math layers you can use, the interface for downloading different math layers is very slick, and the app developers really really care about improving their product. I have downloaded probably eight different backcountry GPS apps over the years, and Gaia is the best. For what it's worth, I am an instructor and wilderness navigation for the Mazamas, and take pride in researching what's best for my students.

Enjoy,
John
Thanks, I am definitely loving Gaia. I'm primarily using caltopo maps, which are accurate in some areas, but not in others. I'm starting to investigate other maps that are better or more recent and will check out your video.
Woods,
Can you tell me what areas you're finding Caltopo maps to be in inaccurate? I'm curious, because the 7 1/2 minute layer should be up to the highest standards of blah blah blah level of accuracy determined by the US Geological Survey, that should be pretty good for the entire country. If there is a shortcoming in Caltopo, I'd like to hear about it, and I bet Matt the developer would like to hear about it too.

johnGo

Koda

Post by Koda » July 31st, 2015, 7:43 am

Woodswalker, I agree with Johngo. Unless there is a new trail installed since the last USGS update the maps are the best accuracy.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2