Garmin 64s - first looks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Lumpy

Re: Garmin 64s - first looks

Post by Lumpy » May 13th, 2014, 12:05 pm

I recently got a 64. Quick review is I really am glad I bought it. It will be nice to be able to shut my smartphone off and use a dedicated nav tool without having the urge to check the smartphone when it makes a noise. It works very well under trees, against cliffs, in the car, and even in my bedroom (not much to navigate there, but it got a good fix). Have yet to wear out a set of batteries.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

alanecharlesworth

Post by alanecharlesworth » June 13th, 2014, 7:40 am

I have one also. I'm surprised they didn't do more modernization, like changing to a microUSB.
The internal flashcard limit is still 32 GB, i.e. it doesn't support SDXC cards.

It has one bug so far. When I unmount it from my Mac, it immediately remounts itself -- so you have to quickly unplug it. If there is no flash card, it doesn't do this.

It is also still too dumb to stop recording if there is no motion below some threshold -- something My Tracks on Android does. So, like with the 62, I always delete the non-moving spiderweb points later at home using Basecamp.

Like with the 62, the indicated miles on the GPS is 5%-10% more than shown later in Basecamp (or any other GPS utility). I assume that Basecamp is correct, and the GPS reads too high.

I haven't taken it anywhere hard yet. That is a clever idea to take both old and new along to compare tracks. When I have a day at home and don't need them the next day, I'll set both the 62 and 64 out to run until identical pairs of NIMH rechargeable batteries give out.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 13th, 2014, 7:55 am

alanecharlesworth wrote:Like with the 62, the indicated miles on the GPS is 5%-10% more than shown later in Basecamp (or any other GPS utility). I assume that Basecamp is correct, and the GPS reads too high.
The odometer reading on Garmins is recalculated every second, while the calculated value from the track is using points recorded at intervals much farther apart than that. This generalization accounts for (most of) the lower reading from the track.

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/T ... k+Distance

Theoretically, you can make the track match the odometer by setting the recording interval to 1s per point. Given the variability of the readings, "the truth" must lie somewhere in between.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » July 8th, 2014, 11:55 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Just had a massive failure, lost a lot of data while working on the new version. Digging out from a backup
and adding things back, so there is a delay now, sorry...
Eric,

I am using your maps and info on my 64. I can only see the red line for a trail if I zoom into the 50ft level. What am I doing wrong, or not doing right? :(
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"