Garmin 64s - first looks

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Eric Peterson

Re: Garmin 64s - first looks

Post by Eric Peterson » March 29th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Testing it on my unit now, had issues just getting new maps onto my unit from Basecamp and
posted a help topic over on Garmin's forums. Looks like one has to use another utility called
MapInstall to move maps over manually, at least I had to. Not making a self installing Sendmap
version right now, so users who can't figure out how to get Garmin map products onto their
units will have to wait or learn, their choice :D

Too late to go hiking now, heh.

Emailing you shortly with the link, it's called 2.91, will explain in the email...

Guy

Post by Guy » March 29th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Emailing you shortly with the link, it's called 2.91, will explain in the email...
Drop me a line when the 007 version is ready ;) ...
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 29th, 2014, 3:00 pm

You, Pablo and Craig are in the email I'm making right now. Can't think of anyone else
really right now that uses it except Sean, but I want to make sure kinks are worked out before
sending to more folks...

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 29th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Email is sent guys, enjoy . . .

pablo

Post by pablo » March 30th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Lumpy wrote:Thanks Paul. I'm anxious to know what you find out.
Well, I went out and did Oneonta to Franklin Ridge out n back and both GPSrs performed well - I'd give the edge to the 64s based on the return track. That canyon is a challenging spot for any GPS.

I loaded freshly charged 2500mah NiMh batteries to both units and left them on after the hike - like watching paint dry. After 14 hours I gave it up and turned them off as I needed to recharge them for the next day. The 62s battery indicator showed more bars than the 64s but I'm satisfied that either unit does well using better rechargeables and I'll likely never use my lithium batteries except in an emergency.

The 64s did not seem to have any improvements over drawing speed over the 62s so apart from GLONASS and additional memory, I'd say they are the same units. If I were moving from a 60CSX to something new, I'd go with the 64s but it may not be worth the upgrade from a 62s.

--Paul

Here's the map - 64s in blue, 62s in red. Along the creek, the 62s wanders a bit.
OneontaFranklin.JPG
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » March 31st, 2014, 10:19 am

Interesting. Thanks!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 6th, 2014, 7:47 am

I went out yesterday and did Oneonta and Franklin. Looks like I took the same route.

I've got an Oregon 600. I've had it go wonky in the rain - that is, the touch screen sense water as if it were a finger touch.

Yesterday, when trying to move the map around with my finger, it would sense a drop of water somewhere else on the screen and interpret it as zooming in or out or scrolling wildly off the desired location. It laid down 25+ waypoints (with no help from me) . I would bend over and hold it under my body, but with wet fingers and the occasional drop of rain blowing in, it was totally worthless.

I know a few other PH'er who have no issues with the touch screen, but it doesn't work for me. Taking it back to REI today for a 64.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 6th, 2014, 7:49 am

EP - you saying your map set is working with the 64? I love your mapset. hope it works.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 6th, 2014, 8:23 am

MarsIsCobra wrote:EP - you saying your map set is working with the 64? I love your mapset. hope it works.
Yes. And 007 Mapset does too, have not worked up the MAC installer yet for 007, but I will! :)

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 6th, 2014, 8:35 am

Eric Peterson wrote: have not worked up the MAC installer yet for 007, but I will! :)
you're the best. thanks!