Garmin 64s - GPS+GLONASS

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
pablo

Garmin 64s - GPS+GLONASS

Post by pablo » March 7th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Release date is March 31st. Doesn't seem like it offers much more over the 62s but this GLONASS business with the promise of greater accuracy sounds interesting, thoughts? Being a tech junkie I'll likely take the plunge.

http://www.rei.com/product/869474/garmin-64s-gps

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 40022.html

You get a year's worth of Bird's Eye - something I purchased for my 62s that I regret. Screen resolution is the same. Has more memory than a 62s. I use the ANT+ not sure if the Bluetooth gives me anything.

Would be nice if it had a faster processor than the 62s as custom maps are slow to scroll.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

retired jerry

Re: Garmin 64s - GPS+GLONASS

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2014, 6:41 am

When will they have one that allows you to send and receive text messages by satelite?

Koda

Post by Koda » March 8th, 2014, 9:18 am

pablo wrote:Release date is March 31st. Doesn't seem like it offers much more over the 62s but this GLONASS business with the promise of greater accuracy sounds interesting, thoughts?
(IIRC) GLONASS doesnt mean more accuracy, but more opportunity to get a satellite location. GLONASS is simply using the Russian GPS satellites along with the USA satellites. So if your in an area where normally (without GLONASS) you dont have a signal, you stand a chance at having a Russian satellite overhead to use. The accuracy of that may or may not be any different.
In short, GLONASS means more opportunity, not more accuracy.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » March 8th, 2014, 9:23 am

pablo wrote: You get a year's worth of Bird's Eye - something I purchased for my 62s that I regret.
And of course this wouldn't be a complete forum discussion without someone recommending something totally opposite the topic :) Backcountry Navigator includes Satellite imagery world wide for free. I think some of the smartphones come with GLONASS too?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 8th, 2014, 10:12 am

For a second I thought you said CLONEASS.

Will have to check on this 64 unit...

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » March 8th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Koda wrote: I think some of the smartphones come with GLONASS too?
Yes, my Nexus 5 has GLONASS. I think it's pretty standard on smartphones now, or at least the higher end ones. Here's a list of those that support it. It does seem to get an initial fix more quickly than my 62s. The two downsides of using a smartphone as a GPS, in my experience, are that the battery life is much shorter than the Garmin when used in continuous tracking mode, and the screen's much harder to read in direct sunlight. The upside is a bigger screen, and a bigger choice of maps and imagery. For a dayhike where battery life isn't an issue, I often use my phone instead of my Garmin. I like the Viewranger app the best.

I tried the BirdsEye imagery for a year on my Garmin, and decided it wasn't worth it.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 8th, 2014, 4:01 pm

The battery issue on a smartphone can be remedied by carrying an external battery. I'm still using my 60csx, but I'm finding it more and more handy to have my smartphone GPS with me. The maps are WAY better, you can have satellite images, and it has a compass that actually works. For the time being I usually create 2 tracks - one with the Garmin, one with my phone. In the end, they come up pretty comparable.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 8th, 2014, 4:31 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:For the time being I usually create 2 tracks - one with the Garmin, one with my phone. In the end, they come up pretty comparable.
I bet not on elevation? I really appreciate the elevation change damping offered by the barometer in a "real" GPS.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 8th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Count me in as a real GPS stalwart too :)

The antenna on the real GPS still can't be beat, those dinky smart phone fake GPS things simply konk
out under a tree. Let me know when smartphones start packing a real antenna then talk to me.

:lol:

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 8th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Count me in as a real GPS stalwart too :)

The antenna on the real GPS still can't be beat, those dinky smart phone fake GPS things simply konk
out under a tree. Let me know when smartphones start packing a real antenna then talk to me.

:lol:
ditto. in our part of the world there are too many cliffs, mountains and trees to block gps signals. I like the big ol' antenna on my 62s.

This looks pretty cool. I can't wait to hear some feedback from PH users! I'm really wanting one, but only if it is truly worth the $$$ to upgrade.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando