Mobile maps from the USFS

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
miah66

Re: Mobile maps from the USFS

Post by miah66 » March 17th, 2014, 11:16 am

kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:You can get the USFS 2013 maps in BackCountry Navigator for Android... Possibly in some iPhone apps too.
Yeah, one day I was bored so I threw a little script together that snagged about 1800 of those. Most of Oregon and Washington, I think. Now I can use any of them quite easily with that free Avenza app.
Karl,

I used that Quads program to download geo.pdf's, they were about 25 Mb/file. I tried using the link Cheryl gave and d/l the files from the FSTopo site. It seems those files were only pdf's, not GEO.pdf's. They loaded into Avenza, but I don't know if they will "work" when you go to use them in the field. Have any experience with this?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 17th, 2014, 11:19 am

miah66 wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
adamschneider wrote:You can get the USFS 2013 maps in BackCountry Navigator for Android... Possibly in some iPhone apps too.
Yeah, one day I was bored so I threw a little script together that snagged about 1800 of those. Most of Oregon and Washington, I think. Now I can use any of them quite easily with that free Avenza app.
I used that Quads program to download geo.pdf's, they were about 25 Mb/file. I tried using the link Cheryl gave and d/l the files from the FSTopo site. It seems those files were only pdf's, not GEO.pdf's. They loaded into Avenza, but I don't know if they will "work" when you go to use them in the field. Have any experience with this?
I've only played with the Portland and Vancouver USGS quads in walking around town so far. Didn't get my act together soon enough to pre-load the phone with the ones in the gorge before last weekend. But yeah, so far, so good, locally.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 5th, 2014, 10:26 am

Got to use PDF-Maps in the field yesterday, and absolutely loved it! It works great with the USFS/USGS downloadable PDFs. And I also learned how to make my own GeoPDFs using ArcGIS. Here's a couple of screen captures I made while out yesterday. The blue dot is where I was at the time.
Screenshot_2014-04-04-15-53-20.jpg
Georeferenced scanned Green Trails map in GeoPDF.
Screenshot_2014-04-04-15-54-03.jpg
Seemless USGS 24K quads in GeoPDF
This might be my new most-favorite outdoors app. :)
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 6th, 2014, 8:46 am

HS wow!

Way too cool Kep! :D

And thanks again for helping me get some of those gems into me S3 Mini! :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 30th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Attached is a text file with links to all the USFS vector-based GeoPDF maps available across Washington, Oregon, and parts of northern California. The server seems almost overwhelmed at times, so some patience is needed for downloads. If you know the quad name you want (hint: try the QUADS kml utility), it's pretty simple to load this file into a text editor, and do a quick search for the link. Eg, looking for Bonneville produces:

http://fsgeodata.fs.fed.us/rastergatewa ... FSTopo.pdf

Enjoy!
Attachments
USFS-GeoPDFs.txt
(167.94 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Karl