How to convert "tracks" to "waypoints"?

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
mjirving

How to convert "tracks" to "waypoints"?

Post by mjirving » September 20th, 2013, 8:50 am

So here's my deal...

Currently I use GPS Kit app on my iPhone to track my hike as I go. I also like to download tracks of others as a navigational back up to help find the route if needed. The problem with this is that if I switch tracks in GPS Kit then it will stop tracking my route. I also use Topo Maps app which I love too. Problem is that it won't import "tracks", but it will import "waypoints". So I'm trying to figure out a simple way to convert "tracks" to "waypoints" and perhaps as a bonus, a way to filter out some of the track points to minimize the file size as I don't really need EVERY point in the track.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or does anyone have a different suggestion that meets my intent? My requirements are that it work on my iPhone only as I don't want to carry another device and I want to be able to track my hike actively the whole way while being able to reference the pre-existing track as a reference point.

Thanks!
-GoalTech

Guy

Re: How to convert "tracks" to "waypoints"?

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2013, 9:25 am

I don't think converting tracks to waypoints is the way to go. Waypoints will be displayed "as waypoints" that means a symbol for each at the minimum this will make your map almost impossible to read!

Assuming you also have a PC or mac consider using basecamp of some other such program. If it is not already in gpx format convert your desired track to gpx (unless basecamp will open it in the form it is in) then make your own waypoints over the track at strategic points where you think you may need them. Then just upload these. This is what I do anyway!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 20th, 2013, 9:32 am

Guy,

Interesting. Yes, that's why I wanted some option to filter it the track to just take say every 10 "waypoints" or something like that. But what I'm hearing you say is that you take the track (which mine are already .GPX files) and then use this base camp program to essentially overlay the track and then manually select the key waypoints at say major intersections, turns, points of interest to make a much more basic and readable "track" (series of waypoints). Am I on track here with your thinking? (no pun intended) ;-)

GoalTech

Guy

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2013, 9:53 am

Exactly!

If I have a track of a bushwhack through thick woodland that I want to use I make make waypoints as often as every 10th of a mile or so but if it's just a tail I haven't hiked before I'd just put them at intersections or POI's.

Last Sunday when we hiked from Laurance Lake to Owl Point I made 4 waypoints from a track that Pablo shared with me for the 1.5 mile bushwhack section & that was enough to ensure we stayed "on track"!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 20th, 2013, 9:57 am

So, I just downloaded Garmin Basecamp and tried to import a .gpx file that I got from someone on Portland Hikers of the Loowit trail around St Helens into it and it said it wasn't a valid GPX file??? Ideas?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 20th, 2013, 10:02 am

I just imported a track from the timberline trail fine. I wonder if the loowit track got hung up as there were some waypoints intermixed with the track?

Guy

Post by Guy » September 20th, 2013, 10:21 am

Probably just a bum gpx file for some reason.

You can download my Loowit trail gpx here if you want to give that a try.

http://gpsfly.org/g/2637
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2013, 11:00 am

I edit gpx files with wordpad or whatever editor convenient

The only problem is, if I make some error, then basecamp just says "illegal file" so it can be tricky to figure out what I screwed up.

(Typical software problem from 1960s - you'de think we'de advance beyond this :) )

One error is to have a waypoint after a track

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 20th, 2013, 11:09 am

Hmmm...thanks Jerry. Topo Maps doesn't like my export that I made of about a hundred waypoints around Mt Hood. It seemed straight forward and I've imported waypoints before to Topo Maps with no problem. I'm stumped. I emailed the app developer for ideas. It said "Syntax Error No <gpx> element found. (I successfully imported the same set of waypoints into GPS Kit app as a test)

GoalTech

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2013, 11:27 am

Being a software programmer from the 1960s (or maybe 1970s would be more accurate)

try importing a file with very little in it

then if that works, add one waypoint and see if that works

then add a few more and see if that works

etc...