Gorge+ Mapset Conversion to GPX for BackcountryNav Pro

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
discodan7700

Re: Gorge+ Mapset Conversion to GPX for BackcountryNav Pro

Post by discodan7700 » May 28th, 2013, 5:20 am

Thanks friends,

Guy and I were on the same wavelength regarding the fail-safe brute force approach. I was looking at it more as a puzzler and less as a necessity. Also, I like the idea of making BCNPro more accessible and more widely used in the community. Converting the gorge+ mapset to gpx supports that end goal. Plus, I really like this product and the more people that use it, the less likely it will disappear. I've also been in contact with the dev on some feature requests. On the next one, I plan to include a little linky-pooh to portlandhikers. Then I'm not just saying "great product I recommend it often". I'm showing him, I mean bees-knees :)

Regarding EPs comments. You are helping, my friend. I think you know this. But allow me the leeway the commpliment you some more. You are increasing awareness of these wild places right in our backyard. You are inspiring others to get out there and see it and experience it. The more people who fall in love with the trail, the more people who will potentially advocate for it, the more people who will protect it. It's important work, you make it look easy, and I thank you.

Plus there's a bit of comic relief. 'member this? Love that expression on your face. It's priceless!

-daniel-

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » May 28th, 2013, 5:38 am

Thanks for the kind words Dan :)

That picture of me in the well was me trying to look like a bada$$

Adventure Mapper

Post by Adventure Mapper » July 9th, 2013, 7:55 am

I think the best place for an accurate and complete trail model is Open Street Map. That way trails can be integrated with streets and roads. This works well for Forest Park and other places at the edge of the urban area. There are methods of making .img files from OSM data http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin.