best iPhone GPS app?

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
LisaDHolmes

Re: best iPhone GPS app?

Post by LisaDHolmes » May 20th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Thanks for all of the info!

I figured that the heavy tree cover and rainy conditions would have an impact on the GPS, but never thought about where I place the iPhone. It's always been in my pack or in a vest pocket at hip level, so I'll give this a try.

I also didn't now that the newer iPhones were that much better at tracking. I don't plan on replacing my phone anytime soon, but this is still good to know so I don't buy other apps thinking that is where the issue is.

For daily walks and/or bike rides in my neighborhood, I use the MapMyWalk app, and it usually works great, but on occasion has shown crazy zig-zagged tracking instead of normal for no known reason.

For those with the Gaia app, can you give any pointers to make sure data is saved? I have followed their directions, but sometimes it just doesn't save the data, even when I saw the data so I knew it was tracking. And do you usually download the map for a hike before you go?
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 20th, 2013, 9:13 pm

LisaDHolmes wrote:I figured that the heavy tree cover and rainy conditions would have an impact on the GPS, but never thought about where I place the iPhone. It's always been in my pack or in a vest pocket at hip level, so I'll give this a try.
It was my daily lunch walks where I learned this. I frequently take the same route. Sometimes clockwise, sometimes not. I used to wear my GPS on my belt. I found that there were repeatable errors consistent along the route. But(!), they were different depending on whether I was going CW or CCW. In one case, I might get "blown away" from a building out into the street, while in another I might be sucked up by it. The only constant was whether I was going CW or CCW. When I moved the GPS to my shoulder, these errors lessened or disappeared entirely. Try something totally consistent, but inconsistently so. For example, walk a high school track for a few laps in one direction, then a few laps in the other. See if you see consistent differences. Weird...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » May 20th, 2013, 9:57 pm

LisaDHolmes wrote: I also didn't now that the newer iPhones were that much better at tracking. I don't plan on replacing my phone anytime soon, but this is still good to know so I don't buy other apps thinking that is where the issue is.
correct. If you have issues with satellite reception its with the device or how you carry it not the application.
For those with the Gaia app, can you give any pointers to make sure data is saved? I have followed their directions, but sometimes it just doesn't save the data, even when I saw the data so I knew it was tracking. And do you usually download the map for a hike before you go?
Forgive in advance because I dont use Gaia, but I have sampled it. I bet that if its tracking, it writing the data to a file that auto saves. This file might be default named, take a look and see if you need to create a new 'trip' file and if you do you might find a menu with a default 'trip' file....Also, to export that file you would need to tell it to save-as a gpx, then email it to yourself driectly from the phone.

And yes, you must download any topo maps to your phone before you leave cellular reception. One more thing, you can use the Gaia app in airplane mode will more than double the battery life on the hike.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2