Navigation Tutorials..

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Lurch

Navigation Tutorials..

Post by Lurch » January 8th, 2013, 3:02 pm

So this topic came up in the GPS/Snowtravel thread and I wanted to put this up and see if there was some general interest. I'm more than happy to write up some threads for different nav skills and get a bit of a Q&A session going. I'm not entirely sure where the knowledge baseline for this board is, so below would be an outline for what I would typically teach for Navigation..

Compass
  • Cardinal Directions
  • Declination
  • Compass Parts
  • Finding a Bearing
  • Shooting a Bearing
  • Pacing
  • Troubleshooting
Maps
  • Map Types
  • Map Datums
  • USGS Legend
  • Map Symbols
  • Contour Lines / Terrain
  • Coordinate Systems
  • Distance
    • UTM
    • Lat/Long
    • Township & Range
Map & Compass
  • Orienting a Map
  • Find a Bearing
  • Plot a Bearing
  • Triangulation
GPS
  • How the system works
  • Strengths/Weaknesses
  • Coordinate System
  • North Reference
  • Map Datum
  • Waypoints
  • Goto's
  • Tracks

retired jerry

Re: Navigation Tutorials..

Post by retired jerry » January 8th, 2013, 3:08 pm

I think that would be interesting

On the home page of the Field Guide, there is a link to "About Hiking" with some similar topics. I could add it to that.

I've never been totally satisified with that structure, but it is always on the home page so it doesn't gradually get pushed down by more rcent topics.

If you posted more detail to this thread, I would copy it over to the field guide "About Hiking" if you wanted.

Koda

Post by Koda » January 8th, 2013, 4:35 pm

What I would like to learn more about is adjusting my bearing when I have to deviate from my original bearing, say like a small cliff band that does not show up on the map, or a super dense in-penetrable area of brush. I’ve always found a work around in these situation but feel like I’m just winging it…. Or maybe I’m doing it right, IDK. I rarely miss only the smallest waypoints. I am fine getting to my car or any feature visible on a map, but probably not so much finding anything smaller than that, say like a specific tree or spot. I find that it’s the flatter deep timber terrain that gets me turned around most. Not really an issue much round here usually, but it doesn’t take much of a flat area to get turned around if you’re not diligent on following your bearing.

about your list, I would move the 'map&compass' department to the top, and start there...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 8th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I've usually found that getting people a basic understanding of the general directions, and how a compass is working, and then an understanding of the map separate from the compass makes blending the two together a little bit easier. If there's a high demand on anything specifically we can start there

Koda

Post by Koda » January 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I find I sometimes learn fastest with a top down approach, get the answers first then learn the reasons as a result. This is just me, so I’ve learned to adapt to learning from the bottom up because that’s the way most instructors teach…

If you put up a set of lessons here I would take the time and learn from them in any order. I still have much to learn and trust your expertise.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » January 8th, 2013, 6:34 pm

What I would like to learn more about is adjusting my bearing when I have to deviate from my original bearing
Since I have only the barest understanding of what Koda said here I'm guessing that I would need to begin at a more basic level ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 8th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea, and it would be much appreciated.

And Koda's example is a good one. I think that's a common issue that comes up when navigating with map & compass, especially in the terrain we encounter here in the NW. We can't walk in a straight line. We have to change course to get around/under/over obstacles, then get back on course. At least, that's what I think Koda is referring to. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 8th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Koda wrote:I find that it’s the flatter deep timber terrain that gets me turned around most. Not really an issue much round here usually, but it doesn’t take much of a flat area to get turned around if you’re not diligent on following your bearing.
Bingo! Think, Multnomah Basin, on a cloudy/foggy day, about an hour before sunset... Trying to find your way back to the trail after thrashing all over in search of that old Buick. Most turned around I've been all last year.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 8th, 2013, 8:55 pm

This is awesome. Although I know some about most of those topics, I'd say most of them I know just enough to be dangerous. I'd love to know more about all of them.

Another item that might be of interest is usage of online/electronic maps and applications. Not quite sure that will be as easy to do, but it would be useful info.

Thank you for starting the discussion.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

raven

Post by raven » January 9th, 2013, 1:25 pm

This thread belongs in maps and navigation.