Home version of ArcGIS

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
pablo

Home version of ArcGIS

Post by pablo » January 7th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I was clicking through some links in this forum and ran in to this:

http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home

Looks like a fairly complete version of ArcGIS available for home use - has 3d analyst and conversion stuff. From all the features available for $100.00 US in the home edition I see about $10,000+ at retail. There are restrictions like no commercial use and no updates beyond the initial purchase - the current version at 10.1 has plenty of features but you have to renew every year to upgrade.

If the base maps are supplied you'd get 24k topos for the whole US and imagery - that would be super deluxe. Absolutely trivial to create georeferenced images. Comes with Python bindings for access to Arc internals.

I use ArcGIS at work so I have a little background on the use of Arc and I think it is pretty powerful piece of software (with about a zillion little quirks that are an endless source of frustration). I'm going to take the plunge and see what all can be done with it. I'd love to get georeferenced scans of old FS maps.

Truth in posting: Apart from being a user of ESRI software I have no other connection.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Eric Peterson

Re: Home version of ArcGIS

Post by Eric Peterson » January 8th, 2013, 6:38 am

Hey Paul, some of us have been just using Google Earth to geo reference scanned maps,
seems to work pretty well so far. I will be geo referencing some old forest maps as well
in the near future and doing some old trail/RR grade hunting when the snows melt.

Would be interested in knowing how you fare with the 100.00 purchase :)

kepPNW

Re: Home version of ArcGIS

Post by kepPNW » January 8th, 2013, 6:48 am

I'll be extremely interested in hearing how this goes! (Truth in posting: I'm also an ArcGIS user at the office! :)) I had absolutely no idea this product was available.

Unclear to me from the FAQ - whether the activation expires after 12 months, so you're really buying into a subscription thing? Sorta sounds like it.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...