Needed: National Geographic's Topo! software for Washington

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
mattisnotfrench

Needed: National Geographic's Topo! software for Washington

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 2nd, 2013, 8:57 pm

I'm in the finishing stages of writing my hiking guide and I've managed to secure a license to create maps for use in my book using National Geographic's Topo! software. My maps for Oregon are all done or nearly done but I've yet to create any for Washington.

There is only one problem: National Geographic discontinued their Topo! series last year and has been steering people into using an online program on All Trails. All Trails does not offer maps in .jpg format (and they look different too...) and I worry about my ability to use maps created on All Trails in a new format.

Does anybody have a copy of the National Geographic software they could sell me, or at least let me borrow for a month or so? I will gladly compensate the person who helps me with a free copy of my book at the very least. Help would be MUCH appreciated!

Here's a sample:
Fifteenmile Creek sample.jpg
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

retired jerry

Re: Needed: National Geographic's Topo! software for Washing

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2013, 9:19 pm

I don't have National Geographic, but that's well written, that should be a nice guide

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 2nd, 2013, 9:39 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Jerry. I think you'll like the guide. A few of your favorite trails will be featured in it...
Yocum Ridge sample.jpg
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2013, 9:56 pm

Oh no, you have the people stopping when they finally get up to Yocum Ridge, but it get's better from there :)

(I mean that only half seriously, you got to stop somewhere...)

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 3rd, 2013, 9:57 am

A kind soul has volunteered to help. Thanks a lot!

And Jerry, I know there's so much more to do up on Yocum Ridge. I'll let readers figure that out for themselves!

shawjr

Post by shawjr » January 3rd, 2013, 9:04 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:
Does anybody have a copy of the National Geographic software they could sell me, or at least let me borrow for a month or so? I will gladly compensate the person who helps me with a free copy of my book at the very least. Help would be MUCH appreciated!

I realized this problem a couple months ago myself :oops:

I have a copy of Washington I could loan ya.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » February 3rd, 2013, 8:57 pm

Looking forward to the book, Matt--for me (limited by age and decrepitude to about 5 miles per day) the Fifteen Mile Creek (haven't seen it in other local guides) sounds like the perfect 2-day backpack! It's especially good since it's accessible in June!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 4th, 2013, 8:02 am

mattisnotfrench wrote: There is only one problem: National Geographic discontinued their Topo! series last year and has been steering people into using an online program on All Trails. All Trails does not offer maps in .jpg format (and they look different too...) and I worry about my ability to use maps created on All Trails in a new format.
The replacement of the separate TOPO! maps with the online AllTrails came pretty abruptly (or maybe I wasn't paying attention?). I'm in the process of trying the AllTrails now but am, so far, not too impressed. Best that can be said is it gives you access to lots of updated maps and you can route plan and download waypoints. But it seems aimed at being more of a social media/smart phone app site (OK, I'm an old f*rt) than a serious route planning tool. But I've got a year's subscription, so we'll see.