access to public information about land ownership

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
Joseph Elfelt

Re: access to public information about land ownership

Post by Joseph Elfelt » December 25th, 2012, 10:24 am

Karl,

Thanks for the correction on ArcExplorer!
I'm going to install it and take a look.

Joseph

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 25th, 2012, 7:10 pm

As per Joseph, I checked out the huntingmaps.com, downloaded the trial, got pieces
out of the trial that I wanted and previewed the work.

Here is something of a test, I'm sure a familiar area to AM, the run down shack/cabin
that is very close to the powerlines and Rodney Falls. They have the area marked as
USFS when I thought it was private -
ham_cabin_boundary.jpg
Not trying to diverge from the topic, but wanted to thought this might be a good test to verify
how reliable this source could be for BLM data...

Adventure Mapper

Post by Adventure Mapper » December 26th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Eric Peterson wrote: Here is something of a test, I'm sure a familiar area to AM, the run down shack/cabin
that is very close to the powerlines and Rodney Falls. They have the area marked as
USFS when I thought it was private -
I haven't been up to the old cabin but I know of it from hiking in the area with beag. I checked Skamania County records via the site thoughtfully posted by kepPNW. The property with the old cabin is owned by the feds according to this record. By the shape and size of the plots and by some other county records that I have it looks like it was not part of the original GPNF but purchased although I don't know when or who from.

It appears that in the BLM records parcels have been "dissolved" (a GIS term for removing boundaries between areas that have the same attributes). In most cases this makes a map simpler and removes clutter but sometimes a boundary between parcels with the same owner on both sides can hold useful information. On Forest Service land old internal parcel boundaries sometimes correspond to significant differences in the nature of the forest due to different logging times and methods when one parcel was in private ownership. Although it does not apper to be true in this case, there are disagreements between the records of different agencies.

There are many reasons to keep all land ownership records available to the public in the same form as they are used by the government agency. That is what Sierra Club vs. Orange County is about.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 9th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Adventure Mapper wrote:Recently a few people have asked me for maps that show land ownership so that they can avoid trespassing (or at least know when they are doing it). The difficulty of getting this data varies from easy access on-line to difficult access by formal request for a CD/DVD. In the Columbia Gorge area I have never found it to be essentially unavailable
Just stumbled across a source you, and others here, may find to provide useful additions to your library!
More fun links on the side menu there, too. Enjoy! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Adventure Mapper

Post by Adventure Mapper » January 9th, 2013, 7:16 pm

kepPNW wrote:Just stumbled across a source you, and others here, may find to provide useful additions to your library!
More fun links on the side menu there, too. Enjoy! :)
I downloaded the ownership geo-database. It took about an hour to download the gdb and shapefiles. I had a hard time interpreting the gdb but BasicOwnership.shp may be useful. It tells if land is Forest Service or not.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 9th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Yeah, that server's real dog. Good stuff, though!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Adventure Mapper

Post by Adventure Mapper » April 9th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Dear Colleagues,

It's been a long time since I've sent you any news about the Sierra Club v Orange County case; it's been a year and two months since the written arguments, including all the amicus briefs, were submitted. Now, at long last, the wheels of Justice are beginning to turn. The CA Supreme Court has scheduled the oral arguments for Tuesday, May 7, at 9:00 AM, in San Francisco. After that, they have up to three months to issue their decision. I'll let you know what happens next. If you are interested in attending, read on.

The case is the second of three cases scheduled for Tuesday morning. The Supreme Court's courtroom is in the Ronald M. George State Office Complex, Earl Warren Building, 350 McAllister Street, Fourth Floor, San Francisco

The case is number S194708, "Sierra Club v. Superior Court of California, County of Orange (County of Orange, Real Party in Interest)"

General public can sit in on the oral arguments on a first-come first-serve basis. It is the second of three cases to be heard in the morning.

You can check out the Supreme Court's website at: www.courts.ca.gov/supremecourt.htm.

May Justice, and the free accessibility to governmental geodata prevail!
Cheers,
Bruce

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 9th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Are you doing any classes coming up?
Last edited by BrianEdwards on April 9th, 2013, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Adventure Mapper

Post by Adventure Mapper » April 9th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Actually my name is not Bruce. Bruce is the guy who keeps me informed about the court case. I just copied the text of his e-mail and didn't notice the signature.

I won't be teaching Cartography for Wilderness Exploration at PCC until next winter term. In the mean time I may be able to find and/or convert GIS data for wilderness explorers.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 9th, 2013, 10:45 pm

It's Jay right? That's what I had in my mind til i misread your post. Ok maybe i'll hit up your map class next year

regards
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.