NGS Topo and Mountain Lion

Cartography, maps, navigation, GPS and more.
bobcat

NGS Topo and Mountain Lion

Post by bobcat » December 12th, 2012, 8:17 am

I have a new iMac. I use the National Geographic state topo sets on CD-ROM, but now that Mac is in the Mountain Lion zone, they won't translate. Is there any solution to this or am I doomed to keep my old computer for this one purpose only? If so, that's not going to last, so I might have to go to some alternative software - any suggestions there?

I don't need it for GPS, which I don't have. Just want to keep the basic map sets or get something new with about the same capabilities.

Koda

Re: NGS Topo and Mountain Lion

Post by Koda » December 12th, 2012, 11:47 am

IMO The only thing National Geographic TOPO is good for is printing quality custom maps, at that it excels. All your other needs can be had with the many free online mapping browsers. My favorite is Hillmap I find it the most intuitive.

Or you can keep paying for new software with each OS upgrade.

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » January 3rd, 2013, 7:12 pm

Try a Crossover trial.
http://www.codeweavers.com/

Crossover does not require Windows be installed and seems to run the older Windows software I need access to flawlessly as normal Mac applications. (I'm running Lion on a Macbook Air.)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 3rd, 2013, 8:16 pm

My son downloaded a fix for me (he just got me a new iMac which of course uses Mountain Lion). http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/down ... Mac454.dmg

Admittedly I haven't had a chance to see if it works, yet. I'm still trying to cope with all the new stuff and have been home with the new iMac for only 24 hours. The biggest problem is the weird mouse that comes with it!

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 3rd, 2013, 8:49 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:The biggest problem is the weird mouse that comes with it!
The 'Magic Mouse' definitely takes some getting used to. No more resting your hand on the mouse, too sensitive!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 10th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Dragging this back to the top of the pile: I've been clinging to Snow Leopard for the last three years because I've still got four apps that are PowerPC-based (including NG Topo!) that I used regularly (another is simply the driver for a $400 slide scanner that I really don't want to junk just yet...). When I went to the NG website tonight, I was surprised to see an announcement that Topo! was discontinued... what the heck?!? And that support phased out last summer...! Shoot. It's buggy has hell, granted, but it's also great for creating nice base maps, and I use it for that purpose all the time.

So... sigh... I'm now looking for alternatives out there. Any advice from Mac users? BTW, I do like the shaded relief feature, as well as scanned maps -- digital topos are cold and sterile to me, aesthetically.

I do wish Apple would slow down their OS schedule - this annual update pace is too frequent, given that they're only providing backward support for the previous 3 versions. Seems rather Microsoftish to me... booo! :x

Tom :roll:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 10th, 2014, 8:11 pm

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » April 10th, 2014, 8:26 pm

I gave up on Topo! on Mac some time ago. Now I use caltopo.com for printed maps.

I use VueScan to drive my Nikon CoolScan IV slide scanner.
Dave

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 11th, 2014, 5:25 am

Another vote for CalTopo, Tom. Sure worth a shot.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 11th, 2014, 5:50 am

Thanks, Dave & Carl - I see that I've logged in to CalTopo at some point in the past, but I either missed the added layers, or they've expanded since I was last there. Look like a great solution! Looks like I can do much of what NG Topo! offered, save for elevation profiles and setting large export areas (that exceed the screen area), but I can work around these limitations. Looks like I need to send some $$ to Bay Area Mountain Rescue for providing this tool!

Tom :)