If You Believe In Sasquatch, Finding Bigfoot is in OR

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Roy

Re: If You Believe In Sasquatch, Finding Bigfoot is in OR

Post by Roy » June 21st, 2011, 6:24 pm

mayhem wrote:
Crusak wrote:
mayhem wrote:but first I would need Roy to dress up in his clothing that looks like a bear suit ahead of time :)
hahaha you need to find the biggest, tallest guy you know and put him in a furry suit. bigfoot is said to be rather large, after all.
. Found my subject, but no suit needed! This guy is a monster. If I saw him in the woods I would report a Sasquatch!!
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/908122
Ok it was stupid bushwhacking around Table Mt during Bear hunting season at dusk in Black. Thank god I was spotted by a professional and responsible hunter.

Funny thing Last April walking up Grouse Vista trail I came face to face with a good size Bear. I was wearing the same black wind breaker and black wind pants, my day pack is black and gray. That bear stood in front of me and just stared at me for way to long.

It was hardly light almost like dusk.

Was it checking me out? It was spring I do look more like a line backer than a hiker :lol:

Bigfoot is easy to find I saw one on the 405 on ramp with a card board sign asking for a dollar. Way to big and furry to stop ;)

Roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 22nd, 2011, 8:44 am

Disappointed!! The show sucked! Worst one yet not funny not interesting waste of time! Next week is Washington, maybe that one will be better...I mean entertaining
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 22nd, 2011, 3:39 pm

The show is a bit... awkward? The primary people on the show lack the presentation skills necessary to do television IMO. But I guess that adds a raw amateur feel to it.

I wasn't all that impressed. But I'll probably watch it again. :D
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 27th, 2011, 10:35 pm

I just got done watching the Washinton episode. More entertaining than the Oregon one. I'm sure one of the PH could debunk this one:) but they would not say when the event on top of Silver Star happened. Someone took a picture of Bigfoot on top of silver star. I'm pretty sure it was either Roy or Don. :). They made it sound like noone would ever be up there in the winter. Funny too because to me it looked like someone with a backpack and a hooded jacket.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 21st, 2016, 12:57 pm

Interesting discussion on Kickass Oregon History podcast with an author who talks about creating the Oregon Bigfoot Highway, a preserve for Sasquatch in Clackamas Ranger District. Also talks about the Dick Thomas sighting.

http://orhistory.com/archives/5181
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » November 26th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Seems like an old topic but since it's temporarily resurrected, I'll risk going out on a limb. I've seen two, absolute certainty, close range, in daylight. Very likely a third, not absolutely sure but less than 1% chance it was anything else. The 2 "definites" were nearly 40 years apart ... so don't hold your breath. Now that I'm spending more time in the Cascades and less in the Coast Range I've started running into more tracks, typically 1-3 a year. I found one partial and one complete track about a month apart this summer. Both were a ways off trail and away from camping areas where nobody is very likely to go. I've gotten 2, maybe 3 vocalization recordings. I deleted a 4th ... bonehead move.

Zero doubt, for me. Not mere believe, but certain knowledge. However, some of those questions people ask thinking they're undermining the arguments for existence are still valid, just in a different context. For instance .. yeah, where are the bones, and why so few trail cam pictures, and what about DNA? Behind our inability to answer the question are assumptions about what the answers CAN be, thus where we're willing to look for those answers, what we're willing to consider as answers, that are apparently wrong and misleading.

There's no proving a negative. People can CONCLUDE for themselves there is no bigfoot. That's not proof. At this point, despite what I "know" for myself, their existence is not proven to science either. Without existence proven there can be no experts, there are only people with differing levels of experience. Some of the narcissists in the bigfoot arena ... and man, it draws a LOT of them ... claim expertise. Don't buy it. Discovery is a process. We're in the middle of it. It's not done. Frankly, I can't promise that if I find absolute proof that I'll share it .. depends on what that proof would say about them and how I think we'll react. If my suspicions prove correct, then it's likely a secret I'll take to my grave. Even that is an "if", however.

If you happen to have some sort of "encounter", sighting, etc. I suggest being cautious. I've seen people who shared with trusted friends, family, or even people at work expecting a supportive reaction get brutally shredded with ridicule. Take notes. Write it up for yourself. Be sure to separate what is observation vs what is interpretation of the observation. Both matter but they need to be identified for what they are. Contact Oregon Bigfoot or BFRO via their web sites to file a report and/or read up on others' experience in the same area. You might well be contacted by an investigator who can answer questions and set your mind at ease about what you experienced.
- Tom

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 27th, 2016, 8:14 am

I thought Bigfoot lived in Northern California? You can't get a beer in Happy Camp if you even suggest that it's not Bigfoot Central! BF even has his/her own trail down there (Bigfoot Trail).

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 27th, 2016, 10:19 pm

I grant that if I had seen a sasquatch in the wild I'd feel differently, but I have not. I've seen no proof of any kind that seemed convincing to me. This puts the sasquatch into a very selective realm shared by the Loch Ness monster, UFOs, clairvoyance and many other phenomena for which there are many claims made but no conclusive and reliable evidence to examine. Bring me the corpse, or the skull, or even the thigh bone, of a sasquatch and I will happily admit it is real. Bring me a tape recording of what you claim is the beast making noise or a verbal account of a thrilling sighting and I will remain skeptical.

btw, the same criteria would apply to anyone claiming to have a fully waterproof raincoat that's as breathable as my favorite hiking shirt. Show me the thing itself and let me test your claim. Don't just offer me a vague claim or your personal interpretation of a suggestive clue. If you can produce the right evidence then I'll clap you on the back, congratulate you and buy the first round.

Koda

Post by Koda » November 28th, 2016, 5:11 pm

a little unknown Oregon tidbit about Bigfoot is that Oregon Wild has a web page dedicated to preserving his habitat...
http://oregonwild.org/wildlife/sasquatch

They even have a trap set out for one...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

forester

Post by forester » December 10th, 2016, 7:55 am

If I found evidence of Bigfoot, the last thing I'd do is take it to the BFRO or any "research" organization. They are not scientists, anything they come in contact with will be filtered through their own agenda. At least with a university or actual scientific group, you have a chance at a true evaluation. For the rest, it's just a source of manipulative potential. The original post, if I remember correctly, was a video of a rafter pulling onto shore to relieve themselves. It was directly on the McKenzie during peak season, which leaves Bigfoot totally out of the equation. I remember talking with someone who frequents the spot on the video. It was a joke of a location. The people who produced the show for that episode are complete morons or total liars.

I am torn on Bigfoot. I have heard personal stories from people I know who are 100% certain and their stories leave absolutely no wiggle room. I believe many of these stories to be true. At the same time, it's pretty unrealistic that an immense biological creature is wandering the forests, all things considered. I don't know where I stand, as the stories that I believe cannot be reconciled with the science (or lack thereof). I've been to some very remote forests in Southern Oregon and have seennothing Bigfootish. I am pretty far removed from the Bigfoot realm which I used to be involved in, to the point I really no longer think of Bigfoot while I'm out hiking through its home territory. I don't know what the answer is, but chances are it's going to be more complicated than we think.