Bad Helium Balloon Karma

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Peder

Bad Helium Balloon Karma

Post by Peder » November 6th, 2010, 12:35 pm

I keep finding deflated helium balloons in the forest. On my last three off-trail hikes, I have picked up a total of seven balloons. Do other people have this problem, or do I just have bad helium balloon karma?
DSC03814.jpg
yet another one...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Waffle Stomper

Re: Bad Helium Balloon Karma

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 6th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Sounds like balloon Karma to me. :lol:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 6th, 2010, 2:43 pm

I've found balloons like that a couple times. On the way to Tanner Butte. Another time I forget where.

Now, whenever I see people releasing balloons, like on TV, I say "what are those people thinking???"

Its like throwing trash on the side of the highway.

And a lot of plastic finds its way to the ocean where animals eat it or there are huge mats of plastic.

People! Quit releasing helium balloons!!!

Okay, done ranting now, sorry...

meana39

Post by meana39 » November 6th, 2010, 6:45 pm

On my last hike up towards Table Mountain on the section of road before you intersect with the PCT I found one! First one ever and when I tried to pop it to put it in my pack I nearly fell. If someone would have had a video camera it would have made a "funniest home video" moment! Never seen one before in all the years I've hiked though....you must be VERY lucky! ;)
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 6th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Yes, balloons are perhaps the most common form of litter in the Gorge backcountry. I've found them in probably 75% of the untrailed canyons, and never cease to get frustrated. I've found wedding balloons, but mostly birthday balloons. My speculation is that parties at Mult falls, Cascade Locks, or the Dalles release them, and they travel to their final destination high on remote slopes and near pristine waterfalls. It's an incredibly thoughtless and mind-blowing form of litter. As a species, we seem to operate with the "out of sight, out of mind" approach to garbage, and it must be a pretty common assumption amongst self-absorbed, celebrating humanoids, that releasing a bunch of balloons is perfectly acceptable. So...yeah, you're not alone in your discovery. They're everywhere. And the ones you run across are only the tip of the iceberg. :(

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 7th, 2010, 9:06 am

While I have found a few balloons over the years, the most common form of litter I find while hiking is drink containers, mostly pop cans and plastic bottles (water, gatorade, vitamin water, etc.). I don't understand the mentality of people who will haul the container in when it's full of liquid, but can't be bothered to carry it out when it's empty and easier to carry!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 7th, 2010, 6:07 pm

I find a baloon or two on nearly all of my off-trail hikes. I presume they are coming from the Portland metro area and it seems natural that they would end up in the cascade foothills and the gorge. Jamie and I saw a particularly impressive assembly early this year on upper Herman Creek that looked like it came from a used car lot! I've found all sorts of things dangling from the remains - clips, notes, misc. doodads, etc. - they are everywhere. I think hikers may pack out what is near the more common trails but the wilderness is covered in these things.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » November 8th, 2010, 8:11 am

Don Nelsen wrote:I find a baloon or two on nearly all of my off-trail hikes.
That seems like my average; and I very rarely find other waste on my off-trail hikes.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…