Trail Music

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
cubaricho

Trail Music

Post by cubaricho » September 15th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Alright, anyone listen to music while they hike? If so, what's your favorite?

I know it's a bit "rednecky" but when I am hiking/resting at camp out here on the East Coast I tend to enjoy myself a bit of Leo Kottke. He does a lot of solo 12-string guitar work in the Appalachian vibe, but it fits in really well on this side of the country.

Anything for the West Coast that you guys/gals enjoy?

(or we can talk about why you may not enjoy music on the trails)

cfm

Re: Trail Music

Post by cfm » September 15th, 2010, 11:47 pm

I usually don't bring music for hiking, but when I run the local trails I often bring the ipod along.

My current thing- Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » September 16th, 2010, 10:48 am

When I'm in heavily traveled areas, I usually listen to old time radio programs.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 16th, 2010, 11:33 am

I listen to my ipod when I need motivation on difficult sections. Depending on my mood, I'll listen to one of my many NPR or photography podcasts (I know, that's very nerdy), or I'll listen to something like Muse or Barenaked Ladies.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 16th, 2010, 12:14 pm

I'm one of those who'd rather listen to the sounds around me--rushing water, bird songs, squirrels chattering, coyotes howling, elk bugling, owls hooting. Music (classical or religious choral music for me) is for home, to drown out traffic noise and the teenage neighbor boy's stereo.

I have been known to "listen" to music in my head, though. It helps me maintain my pace when my feet start dragging. I'd rather do it that way than electronically!

I try to limit items requiring batteries to my headlamp and camera. Those are plenty enough to haul around.

Your Mileage May (and probably will) Vary. Just please keep the volume down on whatever you bring so I can't hear it as you pass me on the trail. Your hearing will last longer, too!

By the way, I do enjoy Leo Kottke--at home!

Charley

Post by Charley » September 16th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I go hiking to escape music, actually (I'm a professional musician). But I often find that the music follows me. I usually get something stuck in my head. Sometimes the piece is okay, other times, I just want rip my inner ear out! Like getting some John Williams movie theme in my head. It can be great music, but I don't necessarily want to be thinking of Superman's theme music when I'm enjoying a wilderness sunset!

The other night I was camping at Burnt Lake (a Tuesday night after Labor Day, mind you), and some guys were camping, in the "day use only" area on top of the rock bluff, had built a fire (also against regs) and were playing a radio loud enough for me to hear across the lake. I managed to get to sleep around 10 pm, but then woke back up around 11 when the music got louder. I yelled out across the lake "Shut off the RADIO!" To their credit, it was quiet after that.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 17th, 2010, 4:11 pm

I listen to talk radio - KPOJ 620 AM, KGO 810 AM out of San Fransisco, 550 AM Oregon Public Radio

When we were camping once, some nearby people had loud music, we yelled at them to turn it down, so they turned it up :)

yosemite hiker

Post by yosemite hiker » September 17th, 2010, 4:23 pm

cubaricho wrote:I tend to enjoy myself a bit of Leo Kottke. He does a lot of solo 12-string guitar work in the Appalachian vibe, but it fits in really well on this side of the country.
One of the finest guitarists out there. Been around a loooong time.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 18th, 2010, 8:53 pm

I'm like Granny, I prefer to hike without music. I like the sound of music and it's nice to hear the rustling of large animals (not that I've experienced that.) Although, like Charlie I'll get a song in my head and would prefer to have that distracted by something else, but I left my player at home.

The one time I rather enjoyed music was on the trail to McNeil and in the valley there was a small group and somebody had brought a sax and a hiker sized guitar. It sounded pretty cool. I may not have felt that way if I was camping in the area.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

sasquatch22

Post by sasquatch22 » November 1st, 2010, 12:34 am

Last edited by sasquatch22 on May 30th, 2012, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.