shipping beer

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
zepboy

shipping beer

Post by zepboy » August 19th, 2010, 6:20 am

Has anyone ever tried shipping beer via UPS or USPS?

Ever since moving out east two months ago I have been boasting about Oregon's premium quality beer to my new friends. I will be vacationing in Oregon in a month, and I am entertaining the idea of shipping a few boxes of Deschutes and Full Sail to Atlanta and showing my friends what Oregon beer is all about. Has anyone ever tried doing it? If so is there a legal limit as to how much beer could be shipped?

Jane

Re: shipping beer

Post by Jane » August 19th, 2010, 7:37 am

I'm sure the breweries do it often, check with maybe Mcmenamins, Widmer or Deschutes Brewery and they may have more info for you : )

bcostley

Post by bcostley » August 19th, 2010, 8:00 am

zepboy wrote:Has anyone ever tried shipping beer via UPS or USPS?
Legally, you aren't supposed to ship alcohol via USPS. UPS and FedEx may not ship alcohol per their policy, but it is more of a don't ask/don't tell. If they do ask, tell them that you are shipping "yeast samples." Depending on the beer you are shipping, that may technically be partially true. I highly recommend making sure it is packaged very well which ever route you go. If it breaks, you may be busted.

Martell

Post by Martell » August 19th, 2010, 8:36 am

I have done this a couple times. Just pack it really well and it won't break. I used UPS and they didn't ask questions, but I was going to say it was glassware (sort of a stretch but maybe easier on your conscience) if they asked. I think it's legal in Oregon but only to certain states.

It's expensive so only ship the good stuff.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 19th, 2010, 10:29 am

I suggest you contact the breweries themselves to find out if you can order from them and have them ship the beer to the recipient. I know that a number of wineries do a big part of their business through shipping to individuals. Here are the rules from a winery I often visit when in California: http://www.navarrowine.com/shipping/. Be aware that each state has its own weird rules, most dating from the Prohibition era, and some states will not allow alcohol to be shipped there. Most require the shipping firm to get a signature from someone 21 or over at delivery. You'll have to check the rules for each state. You'll also have to pay the appropriate liquor tax to the destination state. It would be better to have the brewery do the shipping. They know what they can and can't do, will provide secure packaging and will transmit the tax to the destination state.