Why do they keep calling them hikers?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Waffle Stomper

Why do they keep calling them hikers?

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 14th, 2009, 11:06 am

I don't get it. It seems more than not I hear the press referring to the lost climbers as missing hikers. Maybe it is just me but I don't think anybody trying to summit Hood is a hiker.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

anna in boots

Re: Why do they keep calling them hikers?

Post by anna in boots » December 14th, 2009, 11:24 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:I don't get it. It seems more than not I hear the press referring to the lost climbers as missing hikers. Maybe it is just me but I don't think anybody trying to summit Hood is a hiker.
It's all relative, Waffle. I know climbers in the Andes and the Rockies who call Mt. Hood "a hike" because you can summit sans rope. There are people in town who think Forest Park is a dangerous wilderness fraught with large beasts and peril. The only large beasts I've seen there are Great Danes and the only peril I survived was having to pee badly for five miles after discovering they had removed the portable toilets for winter.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 14th, 2009, 11:45 am

anna in boots wrote: It's all relative, Waffle. I know climbers in the Andes and the Rockies who call Mt. Hood "a hike" because you can summit sans rope. There are people in town who think Forest Park is a dangerous wilderness fraught with large beasts and peril. The only large beasts I've seen there are Great Danes and the only peril I survived was having to pee badly for five miles after discovering they had removed the portable toilets for winter.

anna in boots
Relatives, you gotta love 'em. :-), I digress.

True, I'm sure nobody will refer to hiking to the summit of Denali. And some people would refer to a hike to Paradise Park as an expedition. But it seems that once special gear such as ropes, crampons, helmets and axes are involved it should by definition change it to a climb which in this weather would be the case. Mt. Hood takes a number of lives because people underestimate the "hike" (not to say these climbers did) and the routine reference to hiking Mt. Hood implies an ease to reaching the summit. I may be wrong but I rather doubt that those who cover the nightly news spend enough time in the Andes or Rockies to refer that lightly to Mt. Hood as a hike. And, I am certain there are very experienced climbers who respect the mountain enough to not call it a hike.

Anyway, that's my brief step up on the soapbox. :-)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » December 14th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:I'm sure nobody will refer to hiking to the summit of Denali.
I once knew a gynecologist who regularly "hiked" to the summit of Kilimanjaro. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. (tee-hee!)

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on December 14th, 2009, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdxflowergirl

Post by pdxflowergirl » December 14th, 2009, 12:36 pm

And why are they saying that a beacon would not have helped them in this situation?
Kam

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 14th, 2009, 1:02 pm

anna in boots wrote:
Waffle Stomper wrote:I'm sure nobody will refer to hiking to the summit of Denali.
I once knew a gynecologist who regularly "hiked" to the summit of Kilimanjaro. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. (tee-hee!)

anna in boots
Denali vs Kilimanjaro. Hmm, interesting comparison. Did the Dr. use helmet, ice axe, crampons and a rope?

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » December 14th, 2009, 1:51 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
anna in boots wrote:

anna in boots
Denali vs Kilimanjaro. Hmm, interesting comparison. Did the Dr. use helmet, ice axe, crampons and a rope?
As I recall, he used camera, African sherpas, tent and wife.

anna in boots

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 14th, 2009, 1:56 pm

I guess for the point I was trying to make is that it is not the altitude of the mountain but the gear and the expertise that separates a hike from a climb. To make it clear I was not making a direct comparison of Denali to Hood just a mention of technical skills An example that I might give is Mt. Adams. Most consider it a climb but during certain times of the year it may be considered a very difficult hike on the right climb route. Where at another time/route it is certainly a climb. It does not do justice to the skill level of those ascending the mountain or to the difficulty of the terrain to refer to those who were lost as hikers.

I think some have lost respect for the mountain and the press referring to it as a hike just encourages some and yields disrespect for skilled climbers.
Last edited by Waffle Stomper on December 14th, 2009, 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 14th, 2009, 1:57 pm

anna in boots wrote:
As I recall, he used camera, African sherpas, tent and wife.

anna in boots
LOL

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » December 14th, 2009, 8:16 pm

I watched a news conference this afternoon--two family members of the climbers were calling them "hikers" also!

Two problems--first, most climbers I know hate being called "hikers"; second, calling it a "hike" leads some to believe they can go up Hood without the specialized gear and training needed for a safe trip (as witness a recent thread on this site).

I hasten to add that the second comment does not apply to those involved in this unfortunate accident--these folks were experienced and appear to have been well-equipped. IMHO, one of the most horrible features of this whole thing is the truly hateful comments found in the online news media. They are especially horrible because the climbers' families are devouring the news media and see these truly nasty comments, calling the hikers stupid (or lots worse) and mocking their Christian religion. I'd like to commend KATU for disabling the comment feature on this story.

The locator beacons being rented for $5 are at least 20-year-old technology (dating from the Oregon Episcopal School disaster in the mid-1980's), require triangulation (hard to do on a steep mountainside) and are useless when one is in a gully (lots of those on the route they took). Here's a statement from Portland Mountain Rescue on the subject.
http://www.pmru.org/pressroom/headlines ... sions.html Note: I'm getting an error message on this link right now, but it worked this afternoon. I hope that means that a lot of people have been trying to read it!

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved!

Anna--was this the one about "No one knew what the leopard was doing at that altitude"?