Why do they keep calling them hikers?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Stefrobrts

Re: Why do they keep calling them hikers?

Post by Stefrobrts » December 14th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Grannyhiker wrote: IMHO, one of the most horrible features of this whole thing is the truly hateful comments found in the online news media.
I've found this is common on all online news stories that allow comments. It seems there is no story that will not produce comment after horrible comment - cold, heartless, bigoted, idiot comments. I cannot even stand to look at them anymore!

As for the hikers/climbers, I would call them climbers, and I've never been further up Mt Hood than Timberline Lodge. It seems like it should be common knowledge, just from the sorts of accidents we've heard about up there over the years, that it is anything but a simple 'hike'. I don't understand why the media would slant it that way.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Aridd

Post by Aridd » December 15th, 2009, 11:48 am

Believe it or not, our media isnt always correct when matching identities with their definition.

good example that has been on the internet for a while

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » December 15th, 2009, 12:00 pm

I thought AK-47 was an historical point on the famed Alaskan Highway? http://explorenorth.com/library/yafeatu ... eposts.htm

(snigger)

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 15th, 2009, 12:22 pm

LOL AK-47
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » December 15th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Media "Rough Guide" to Selected Outdoor Types

Hiker = A person who walks on two feet in natural areas, on trail or off-trail, for durations less than one day.
ex: A day-hiker spends an afternoon in Paradise Park, Mt. Hood

Backpacker = A hiker that spends at least one night outside between two "hikes"
ex: A backpacker hikes in to Paradise Park, camps, and continues hiking the next day

Scrambler = A temporary condition wherein a hiker or backpacker must climb or downclimb an unwalkable terrain between two trails or hiking areas
ex: A hiker climbs the short wall on Ed's Trail (Silver Star) or climbs the Elevator Shaft as part of a hike

Climber = One who participates in outdoor activity combining advanced hiking with actual climbing; possession of climbing gear is requisite for this definition, although use is not; typically involved mountains, cliffs, and other landforms over which walking is impossible because of steepness and ruggedness of terrain; there are as many types of climbers as there are types of climbing
ex: A climber on Mt. Hood
ex: An ice climber on a frozen Gorge waterfall
ex: A climber and his partner freestyle bouldering
ex: Reinhold Messner

Intelligence and experience are not factors in these definitions, although types of gear and presence of such gear is indicative of possession or lack of such traits. Gear tends to increase in proportion to the technicality of the activity.
ex: a cotton-clad newbie hiker in flip-flops on a remote trail, with a bottle of water in his hand and no pack
ex: a climber on Mt. Hood with full gear and a locator beacon
ex: a future PH.org poster who briefly became the poster-boy of how not to backpack while hauling far too much unnecessary gear on his first, ill-equipped backpacking trip... :?

AK47 = Andrei Kirilenko, #47, plays for the Utah Jazz.

(I know this is lighthearted and I mean no offense to the climbers currently lost on Hood; my thoughts are with them, and with their families)

Aridd

Post by Aridd » December 15th, 2009, 1:51 pm

thats great Jason, send it to all of the surrounding media outlets!