Nakia Creek Fire aftermath

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

Nakia Creek Fire aftermath

Post by Chip Down » November 25th, 2022, 9:31 pm

I thought it might be too early to go check out the Nakia Creek Fire aftermath, but I was in the area, so nothing to lose.

I headed east on road L1510, past Skyline Trailhead (OHV, not a hiker's TH). Smelled the burned zone before I saw it, which surprised me.

Not only is the road ungated, it's been nicely repaired, and probably better than before (I think all my previous visits have been in snow, so hard to be sure it's better than before, but it's definitely been repaired post-fire).

The scope of the burned area was not nearly as extensive as I expected. If not for the proximity to civilization, I suspect this event would have garnered very little coverage in the news industry.

A few pics follow.
Attachments
20221124_115652.jpg
20221124_115428.jpg
20221124_095836.jpg
20221124_102643.jpg

jvangeld

Re: Nakia Creek Fire aftermath

Post by jvangeld » December 1st, 2022, 4:22 pm

Chip Down wrote:
November 25th, 2022, 9:31 pm
Not only is the road ungated, it's been nicely repaired, and probably better than before (I think all my previous visits have been in snow, so hard to be sure it's better than before, but it's definitely been repaired post-fire).

The scope of the burned area was not nearly as extensive as I expected. If not for the proximity to civilization, I suspect this event would have garnered very little coverage in the news industry.
Ain't that the truth. See the scant reporting on the Siouxon fire and the Sunset fire, respectively.

I'm glad that the firefighters repair the roads when they leave.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109