as if I needed one more reason to tell REI to piss off

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

as if I needed one more reason to tell REI to piss off

Post by Chip Down » November 6th, 2022, 5:53 pm

REI has been a steaming pile of excrement for years, but this embracement of woke is more than I can stand. So I shall ceremoniously find my REI card...hang on, BRB...that was easier than expected...and here it goes through the shredder...ah, I feel liberated :D

Aimless

Re: as if I needed one more reason to tell REI to piss off

Post by Aimless » November 6th, 2022, 7:09 pm

I looked at your post and I could tell that you object to something you called "woke" but I'm in the dark about exactly what this "woke" is and what you find wrong with it? :?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 6th, 2022, 8:30 pm

I googled "REI" and "woke," and all I found was an embarrassing episode last spring where they tried to wallpaper over their anti-union stance with diversity/equality/inclusion language -- which, of course, managed to piss off everyone all at once.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 7th, 2022, 6:02 am

I don't buy stuff there very often. They don't sell very much ultra light stuff, more fashion stuff for urban folk.

But that's fine. If that's what they want to focus on. More sales opportunity. And their gear allows a lot of people to get out there so great.

I saw they're offering Inreach Mini 2 for $50 off, that's a good deal.

Yeah. I wonder what excited Chip?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 7th, 2022, 6:03 am

oh, and I mostly make my own gear so I need stores that sell fabric and other materials.

In ~1970 I bought some fabric from REI and made a tent.

drm

Post by drm » November 7th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Woke is better than sleeping, at least if you ever want to go hiking. They sell freeze dried food at a discount if you buy a bunch of it, and I use a bunch of it. A few of the discount stores in town here are a bit cheaper than even discounted REI, but the selection is much smaller.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 7th, 2022, 5:32 pm

I have more of a problem with them changing the credit card from USBank to CapitalOne with no input from shareholders.

Then when I asked them to delete my information they said they couldn't do it unless I lived in CA which just means that they refused to.

I'd rather be woke than bigoted though
- Michael

rubiks

Post by rubiks » November 8th, 2022, 7:44 am

aiwetir wrote:
November 7th, 2022, 5:32 pm
Then when I asked them to delete my information they said they couldn't do it unless I lived in CA which just means that they refused to.
Can you update your information first? Tell them you moved to CA, and then you want them to delete your info :lol:
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 8th, 2022, 8:17 am

I wish I had thought of that :)

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » November 8th, 2022, 8:44 am

I grew up in a very mixed-race neighborhood and grade school. There was a seemingly never ending array of fun derogatory terms for whatever you were (black, white, italian, hispanic, red-haired, nerdy, poor (we were all poor), skinny, fat, gay, slow, handicapped, etc., etc., etc.) and we routinely teased each other and called each other by those terms. We told lots of terrible jokes. We also played together and got along well. No one actually hated the *whatever* kid because they were *whatever*. We hated the kid who stole our football because he stole our football, but it didn't matter that he had freckles. We made fun of his freckles before he stole the football.

When I heard adults use those same words it was pretty obvious that they weren't teasing. They actually hated the *whatever* person purely because they were *whatever*. That combined with some good parenting and history lessons at school about things like the Nazis and Martin Luther King Jr. taught me about racism. But since I had only seen this kind of hate in history books and from current adults, never from my peers, my 10 year old brain decided that racism was something that was on its way out. I remember talking with friends about how, 'when all the racist old people die there won't be any more racists. We just have to wait for them to die then we won't have to listen to the terrible things they say.'

Of course it only took a couple years for me to learn that the old racists were successfully influencing the next generation. By high school I was getting beaten up for being white. But that didn't make me hate all black people.

Anyway, I don't have any idea what REI has to do with woke-ness. Just the same as I don't understand why some white people hate black people, why Nury Martinez hates Oaxacans, why some straight people hate gays, or why men and women can't be paid the same for doing the same job. I guess you can blame my parents for not properly indoctrinating me into this irrational need to hate/dismiss/disenfranchise/kill people from other tribes.