as if I needed one more reason to tell REI to piss off

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Webfoot

Re: as if I needed one more reason to tell REI to piss off

Post by Webfoot » November 8th, 2022, 9:27 am

aiwetir wrote:
November 7th, 2022, 5:32 pm
I'd rather be woke than bigoted though
Woke is bigoted.

"Obstinately and blindly attached to some creed, opinion practice, or ritual; unreasonably devoted to a system or party, and illiberal toward the opinions of others."

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 8th, 2022, 11:22 am

Webfoot wrote:
November 8th, 2022, 9:27 am
Woke is bigoted.

"Obstinately and blindly attached to some creed, opinion practice, or ritual; unreasonably devoted to a system or party, and illiberal toward the opinions of others."
I accept your definition of bigotry, because that is what it means. I am confused about your identifying "woke" with bigotry because no one is telling me what "woke" is in real terms. It's assumed by the people using it that 'everyone knows what woke is', but that's not true. No one seems to know because no one seems to agree what the term refers to in real life.

To me it just means you've acquired an understanding of the role that racism (xenophobia, too) have played and still play in all our lives, simply because we all live in the same society and our society was built directly upon foundations of racism. You have only to read the US Constitution to see those foundations. As William Faulkner, a man who understood racism, said, “The past isn’t dead and buried. In fact, it isn’t even past.” But to others "woke" is a derisive term and I do not know what or who exactly they are deriding. No one in this thread has yet disclosed what that something they scorn is and when or where they have personally encountered this bugaboo in their own life (watching cable news does not count as 'your own life').

I've defined what 'woke' means to me. I ask once more for some enlightenment on this from those who deride it. The alternative is to conclude you are using this term without knowing what it means.
Last edited by Aimless on November 8th, 2022, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added Faulkner quote

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm

As this is a hiking forum, please feel free to continue this discussion on Facebook or wherever the preferred brick wall is you like to bang your head against. No hearts and minds are being changed and everything anyone has ever said on the internet is wrong. Anyone who feels so inclined can start a new topic if they'd like to address the <hyperbole> absolute travesty </hyperbole> of REI's membership fee increasing from $20 to $30 (!!!!). :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 8th, 2022, 1:57 pm

well said!