it's going to be an itchy summer

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

it's going to be an itchy summer

Post by Chip Down » July 14th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Pictured below is the bug repellant selection at my neighborhood Fred Meyer.
I blame Putin.
Attachments
20220707_204946.jpg

retired jerry

Re: it's going to be an itchy summer

Post by retired jerry » July 15th, 2022, 4:54 am

looks like the toilet paper section to me

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » July 15th, 2022, 5:09 am

Apparently Portland is doing proactive fogging in select areas; and Vancouver is taking feedback from the community on where to fog. But apparently there's a backlog. big surprise.

In other news; my order of permethrin arrived.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » July 15th, 2022, 7:18 pm

It's because of the shitty wet winter and spring we had. Seven months of near-constant rain will do that. They're also unusually aggressive this year.

Hopefully before long we'll have a good few days of upper 90s/100s weather to cook 'em all.....
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 18th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Last week the media issued a mosquito scare that evidently emptied the shelves of bug spray. It's another one of those awful-ing stores where its "epic" and record-setting and panic-driven. I guess I've been lucky. I have notices some mosquitoes when I've been out and yes I did get a couple of bites this weekend, but its far from the heavy snow years in the past where I had a black cloud following me everywhere and whatever you do, don't stop even to take a picture. Those were some bad summers for hikers. This year actually seems below average for bugs. Again, maybe I've been lucky and in just the next grid over it was bug hell.

Two weeks ago, katu forecasters noted that Jan-Jun 2022 was ranked 16th in wettest starts to the year, trailing 1996 by half of its rainfall during the same period. Then, miraculously last week katu forecasters said 2022 was the wettest spring in 86 years. Strange, I don't remember that much rain falling over the weekend to jump from 16th to 1st. I guess if you spin the numbers enough you can get to #1 by hook or by crook.

As a quant-jock, I feel free to repeat the famed math quote: There are three types of lies...lies, damn lies and statistics. I'm thinking katu loves spinning statistics to make the rainfall seem both like no big thing and epic.

And I'm guessing with the mosquito report (also on katu, just to be consistent), if you stand in the wrong part of the swamp, you get a lot of bites. Sorry for all of you scratching your welts. And if you stand in the right place, perhaps where a wind blows steady, it's been an unimpressive year for bites. Let's hope you summer favors the breezes and not the bogs.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 18th, 2022, 2:04 pm

I've had mixed results so far this year: On a few hikes, no mosquitoes at all but most hikes I've had to deal with a lot of them. On a hike near Archer Mt. five days ago I was constantly in a swarm. Even with repellent I was bit about 20 times, even through my shirt. I think my perspiration washed some the repellent off. They mostly got me where there was little repellant: eyebrows, ears and the top of my head. I should have worn a hat!

On a devil's rest hike yesterday, not a single mosquito!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 18th, 2022, 3:19 pm

BigBear wrote:
July 18th, 2022, 1:25 pm
I feel free to repeat the famed math quote: There are three types of lies...lies, damn lies and statistics.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 18th, 2022, 4:24 pm

BigBear wrote:
Last week the media issued a mosquito scare that evidently emptied the shelves of bug spray.
I wondered if somebody would mention that, but my pic was a little before that news cycle.
Anyway, I did finally find some picaridin at Walgreens. That stuff is expensive, but totally worth it.
And I stocked up on permethrin last year.

Tip for Don: always bring a hat when hiking.
You're welcome.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » July 21st, 2022, 6:22 pm

BigBear wrote:
Last week the media issued a mosquito scare that evidently emptied the shelves of bug spray. It's another one of those awful-ing stores where its "epic" and record-setting and panic-driven. I guess I've been lucky. I have notices some mosquitoes when I've been out and yes I did get a couple of bites this weekend, but its far from the heavy snow years in the past where I had a black cloud following me everywhere and whatever you do, don't stop even to take a picture. Those were some bad summers for hikers. This year actually seems below average for bugs. Again, maybe I've been lucky and in just the next grid over it was bug hell.

Two weeks ago, KATU forecasters noted that Jan-Jun 2022 was ranked 16th in wettest starts to the year, trailing 1996 by half of its rainfall during the same period. Then, miraculously last week katu forecasters said 2022 was the wettest spring in 86 years. Strange, I don't remember that much rain falling over the weekend to jump from 16th to 1st. I guess if you spin the numbers enough you can get to #1 by hook or by crook.
For everybody's contemplation. This is from a guy who (reportedly) used to work in television. Basically the same thing that I've been saying for years decades. Funny he wrote it in 2008 since (when you consider the situation of the past several years) today it's timlier than ever. Substitute the term "cell phone" or "social media website" for "TV" and you have pretty much the same outcome:
It's funny how many grown-ups don't know that TV is pretend. As attributed to Murdoch, "the purpose of news is to entertain, not to inform." My wife watches TV and believes it. Even the news is pretend; have you ever seen all the credits for writers at the end? (or have those been squeezed-back too far?)

I've heard rumor that there might be some people who think I'm smart, but I'm barely riding in the front seat of the short bus. The only way I'm able to pass is because all the time most people are sitting in front of a TV, I'm off trying to learn something. I'm not smart at all, it's just that TV has made so many people so much stupider.

TV is only getting worse as it fades away.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/hdtv/makes-you-stupid.htm
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 24th, 2022, 9:06 pm

I ran into Don's friends on Archer yesterday. It was drizzly; probably the first time I've ever had to apply insect repellent in the rain.

Spotted a mosquito in my bathroom today. That was a first.