Inactive members: where are they now?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Waffle Stomper

Re: Inactive members: where are they now?

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 25th, 2022, 2:02 pm

I know some of the people went to Facebook and the Portland Hikers group. Some of it was dissatisfaction with the change from PortlandHikers.org to OregonHikers.org. There was also some nastiness that showed up from time to time here, which a little bit carried over to the Facebook side of things.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 25th, 2022, 2:21 pm

"also some nastiness that showed up from time to time here"

yeah, welcome to the internet

people are nasty sometimes and sometimes people get indignant over it

sometimes the nastiness is unintentional and if it is, I just try to ignore it. Not always successful.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 25th, 2022, 2:37 pm

jvangeld wrote:
April 25th, 2022, 10:42 am
Ryan Ojerio is easy to track down. He is still working at WTA as the SW WA region manager. I attend his zoom meetings for the Silver Star Vision Plan once or twice a month.

I am curious about Kelly Wagner. I wonder if he ever finished his book.
Kelly moved to Missouri last year to be closer to his grandkids. I'm in contact with him and he's still hiking but misses the Pacific NW. His book is close to being finished but not quite. Lots of changes and revisions needed since he started and the Weyerhaeuser property closures has complicated that.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » April 28th, 2022, 9:19 am

Thanks, Don. I hope his grandkids will enjoy some adventures with him.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 28th, 2022, 10:59 am

To me, the silliest thing about the OregonHikers vs. PortlandHikers debacle was that people from Vancouver felt excluded by the former but not the latter. :roll:

Anyway, I'm glad this forum still exists because searching a Facebook group is an exercise in futility and frustration.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 30th, 2022, 2:27 pm

Somebody should mention pyles_94 (Jamey Pyles).
Although his hiking style is a little different than mine (waterfalls, ick), I appreciated his determination, knowledge, and stunning good looks. That probably sounds weird, but his avatar portrait looks just like me circa 1990 :D I know it's hard to judge by a little avatar, but that's the impression I get.
Attachments
565.jpg
565.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 20583 times

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 2nd, 2022, 5:30 am

I definitely think Facebook is the primary reason. People don't have the time and patience to write up a thoughtful trip report. It's much easier to dump all the photos you took on your hike, don't write captions on any of them, write two sentences about the hike for the main post, and wait for the likes to roll in. I don't think this is an improvement. I never look through these photo dumps on Facebook (which are not trip reports, in my opinion). Personally I started posting all my reports on my own blog where I have more control of them.

In a similar vein, people also don't have the time and patience to search for the information that would answer their question. There could have been a post yesterday that provided the answer, but it's too much trouble to seek that out so they just go straight to asking. It makes those Facebook Groups so cluttered.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 2nd, 2022, 7:35 am

justpeachy wrote:
May 2nd, 2022, 5:30 am
I definitely think Facebook is the primary reason. People don't have the time and patience to write up a thoughtful trip report. It's much easier to dump all the photos you took on your hike, don't write captions on any of them, write two sentences about the hike for the main post, and wait for the likes to roll in. I don't think this is an improvement. I never look through these photo dumps on Facebook (which are not trip reports, in my opinion). Personally I started posting all my reports on my own blog where I have more control of them.

In a similar vein, people also don't have the time and patience to search for the information that would answer their question. There could have been a post yesterday that provided the answer, but it's too much trouble to seek that out so they just go straight to asking. It makes those Facebook Groups so cluttered.
It is also incredibly hard, if not impossible to search Facebook for answers. But to your point, it is "easier" to just ask the same question over and over again. Personally, I like to self service as much as I can.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

wildcat

Post by wildcat » May 2nd, 2022, 8:05 am

It's much easier to dump all the photos you took on your hike, don't write captions on any of them, write two sentences about the hike for the main post, and wait for the likes to roll in.
You know, it's all about that quick dopamine hit that takes precedence over providing actual useful information.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Charley

Post by Charley » May 2nd, 2022, 2:11 pm

wildcat wrote:
May 2nd, 2022, 8:05 am
You know, it's all about that quick dopamine hit that takes precedence over providing actual useful information.
I think this is correct. I try not to judge, though, because I know I'm not any better, much of the time.

I'm becoming more and more certain that our minds and our democracy are being destroyed by "likes," "retweets," and other similar modern social media functions. Old-school forums (like this one) might occupy the sweet spot for getting the best of the internet, without the worst.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.