Inactive members: where are they now?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
adamschneider

Re: Inactive members: where are they now?

Post by adamschneider » October 6th, 2022, 10:19 pm

Naturebat wrote:
October 6th, 2022, 8:09 pm
But while I prefer forums, there are many flaws with the model and I do not see forums ever making a comeback, unfortunately.
I said this earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating... There's one thing that forums often do well and social media does NOT do well: searching, especially searching for older stuff. Have you ever tried to search a Facebook group? It's useless. But this forum serves as a useful archive.

I think this forum would feel a lot MORE useful if it was busier. NWHikers.net gets a ton more traffic; if I wanted to solicit opinions about something that wasn't Oregon-specific, I'd go up there.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 7th, 2022, 12:56 am

adamschneider wrote:
October 6th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Naturebat wrote:
But while I prefer forums, there are many flaws with the model and I do not see forums ever making a comeback, unfortunately.
I said this earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating... There's one thing that forums often do well and social media does NOT do well: searching, especially searching for older stuff. Have you ever tried to search a Facebook group? It's useless. But this forum serves as a useful archive.

I think this forum would feel a lot MORE useful if it was busier. NWHikers.net gets a ton more traffic; if I wanted to solicit opinions about something that wasn't Oregon-specific, I'd go up there.
Yeah that is true, I saw that when you said it before. I don't use Facebook anyway, and don't find it useful for searching trip reports at all. But what we prefer and what most people (just the larger hiking crowd) seem to prefer is a different story it seems. Or at least I would assume so with how active those FB groups were (or are).
While I prefer Twitter 10x or more over FB, I don't use it for trip reports anyway; just for following hiking-unrelated artists I like.
I actually prefer this forum over NWHikers; I never post in the other one. The design of this forum is a lot nicer than the other one, in my opinion, and even the photo embeds show up larger. More activity here would be nice though. When it comes to WA hikes further north, I am lazy and just use WTA, which does have a useful history archive for each trail. But maybe if I lived in WA I would find NWhikers as useful as OH is for me. I use the search feature here often.
- Previously ElementalFX

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 7th, 2022, 12:04 pm

Naturebat wrote:
Oh I was surprised to see myself on that list! (I am/was ElementalFX, now Naturebat.) I thought people must have forgotten me by now. :lol:
Nope. I always enjoyed your reports and photos. Welcome back.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 8th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 7th, 2022, 12:04 pm
Nope. I always enjoyed your reports and photos. Welcome back.
Thank you. :)
Glad to be back.
- Previously ElementalFX

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2022, 5:38 am

I read most trip reports, when I'm not on a trip, and appreciate all of them, even though I don't usually comment.

I assume people read mine and use the applicable information even if no one comments.

I think most users of the site are just "lurkers", which is fine