Inactive members: where are they now?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Charley

Re: Inactive members: where are they now?

Post by Charley » June 4th, 2022, 10:19 am

Grannyhiker wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 4:57 pm
Well, grannyhiker occasionally lurks here to see if anything interesting is happening, mostly to admire the many photos of flowers and scenery.
Glad to hear you're still getting outside, and thanks for checking in!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 4th, 2022, 11:31 am

yeah, based on grannyhiker's posts, I need to do a Wind's trip

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » June 10th, 2022, 7:32 am

Thank you Grannyhiker for telling me about... Stealth camping!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 10th, 2022, 8:22 am

Grannyhiker wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 4:57 pm
Well, grannyhiker occasionally lurks here to see if anything interesting is happening, mostly to admire the many photos of flowers and scenery.
Good to hear you are lurking around. I pretty much am too. Perhaps I'll post some photos from time to time. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Koda

Post by Koda » June 15th, 2022, 9:32 pm

ah the good ol days. I rarely lurk but otherwise stopped posting TRs due to crowds.
Some good people in this forum though, glad to see they are still around.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 16th, 2022, 8:44 am

I'm not sure how much longer people can tolerate the short attention span nature of social media. Maybe when the social media craze burns itself out people will migrate back to using forums regularly again. Or we'll all have cyborg implants and be part of a human hive mind network. Or both.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 28th, 2022, 4:27 am

Well, I did retire (twice actually) and we moved to Southern Oregon for 7 years. Much hiking ensued. Then family matters necessitated a move East, so now we are in Minnesota. Not the same as Oregon, but SO many trees! Still hiking as much as possible - just not as far or as fast as during my Portland glory days. And no, I didn't join FB. But I did start my own blog (vanmarmot.org) in 2016 - and it's still lurching along. ;)
Last edited by VanMarmot on February 5th, 2023, 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 28th, 2022, 11:39 am

I'm around - been busy logging Herman Creek trail between Casey Creek and Slide creek the last 3 weekends in a row :)

More or less moved over to Strava for tracking hikes and runs:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/15237592
Attachments
2A (Small).JPG
2B (Small).JPG
1C (Small).JPG

carlos masters

Post by carlos masters » September 14th, 2022, 8:56 am

I was never a prolific poster but always found the forum to be useful. Off trail with Pablo reports was the most I typically did..

Just back in the area from sailing in the Sea of Cortez and looking for a place to land. I was thinking to becaom more active of the forum and post an 8 weeks (and 8 hikes) to fitness thread and to revisit some of the lost trails I know about. But...

But, facebook is not really my thing so moving there is not really an option - Who knows.

don Carlos

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » October 6th, 2022, 8:09 pm

Oh I was surprised to see myself on that list! (I am/was ElementalFX, now Naturebat.) I thought people must have forgotten me by now. :lol: Basically, I had been meaning to get that username changed for a few years now, but couldn't decide on a new name. I can't recall why I chose it, as I don't even do any sort of special effects work.)

The reason for posting less is that I have just been lurking more every year, posting less and less. And to be honest, sort of stopped even lurking that much since around 2020, as I have been spending more time gardening and less out on the trails. 2020 messed up my annual hiking rhythm. :lol: But hoping to get back to it in the next few years. Gardening has been stealing half of my spring thru fall hiking time.

I don't use Facebook anymore; I can't stand it and how old and clunky the site feels. Twitter is my preferred social media nowadays. And I agree, the trip report posting model on FB groups is not that great–but sure good for instant gratification. I used to browse the PH group a bit, but I haven't used Facebook in years.

To be honest, I am not an old timer on the internet. When I joined in 2013 I was still a kid in school heh. But while I prefer forums, there are many flaws with the model and I do not see forums ever making a comeback, unfortunately. Hopefully there is something better to replace it, but whatever it is, I don't see it being forums again, at least in its traditional form (using BBcode). Maybe some kind of Reddit-like platform would be a popular successor to forums, as it is sort of forum-like in style. Currently it seems that many hikers, especially younger hikers, have moved to the websites/app AllTrails. I just started to use it and find it superb and meets many of my needs for recent trip report viewing. Trip reports are super easy to post, you can share a GPS track, and you can upload photos. And you can sort photos by upload date to get a good idea of recent trail conditions.

What AllTrails lacks though, is lots of good detailed user-contributed information for lesser known trails, off trail hikes, and more advanced hikes. And it doesn't have the vast user-contributed knowledge of places like OregonHikers, and I think the members here are some of the most experienced of the hiking crowd. So those are the reasons why I see OH as an invaluable resource still, and use it often. Plus the field guide is amazing, and I use that extensively to find new hikes. The field guide is my favorite hiking guide resource available online, even compared to AllTrails' massive hike database, or WTA hiking guides.

I think some of the hurdles for posting (even speaking some for myself), is the difficulty of image posting. I prefer to do it off site, but that requires an extra step (and sometimes image hosting sites die, like Panoramio or Photobucket). And uploading images directly has the drawback of not sizing the images large enough to be pleasant to see on a computer screen (I prefer larger images that span the entire width of the text/post).
For me, one major hurdle is that I take hundreds of photos on a single hike, then have to sort through them, then edit maybe 50-150 images, and then try to do the impossible task of narrowing that down to a few to share. And I can never get around to it before I do another hike, or too much time passes by to where it is 1, 2, 3 months (or years) outdated. :?

I hope to get back to posting more trip reports though! I already posted one a few days ago, but hopefully more to come. :)
- Previously ElementalFX