Lots of 504 Gateway time-out errors lately

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
wildcat

Lots of 504 Gateway time-out errors lately

Post by wildcat » April 19th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Anybody else having this problem? It seems to have become a recurrent issue over the past 2-3 weeks or so and it happens at seemingly random points, submitting a new (or edited) post, changing pages in the forum, changing pages in the thread, what have you. For me it tends to happen at least once per session. Usually I can hit the back button or F5 and immediately continue where I got cut off, though this is not always the case.

This is the error page I usually get; example is from earlier today (traceable numbers edited out for obvious reasons):

1a.png
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

adamschneider

Re: Lots of 504 Gateway time-out errors lately

Post by adamschneider » April 19th, 2022, 8:39 pm

It happens almost EVERY time I try to access the site between midnight and 12:30am.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 20th, 2022, 4:50 am

I get those

I think different times of day

Usually, if I try again it will then ask me to log in again then everything okay

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » April 20th, 2022, 5:57 am

I get this occasionally… once per week maybe. Usually if I refresh the page, it comes up ok. Sometimes, I have to relogin.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 21st, 2022, 8:03 am

Yep. These error alerts have increased exponentially recently. I work on the Field Guide a lot, and I've learned to just keep clicking, but it's certainly a little frustrating. For a regular new FG entry, working over the space of an hour, it might happen 10 times or more. It seems worse on weekends, so I try to avoid working then.

If it happens when I save something, usually the page saves even though there is an error message.

I can see where it would discourage new users, and they may never want to come back.

We're on a private server, generously provided. When I was on a TKO committee, we often discussed moving the site to TKO's own server space, funded by TKO (and the funding all comes from donations, of course), and passed the message on. Several years on, there seems to have been little urgency/funding/interest to do this.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » April 21st, 2022, 9:45 am

All your hard work on the Field Guide over the years is much appreciated! Thank you!

I notice the B-ng and G--gl- b-ts have been active on here quite a lot lately. They show up in the "Users browsing this forum:" line at the bottom of a thread page, in pink text. (In fact, "B-ng [B-t]" just showed up as I edit this sentence into this post.) Could it be they're just most active at evenings and weekends and making too many simultaneous requests at times, tying up the server and bringing it to its knees?

IIRC, there's a robots.txt directive that limits the number of requests a bot can make in a specific time frame. That might be worth looking into to see if it solves the problem.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 21st, 2022, 8:52 pm

adamschneider wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 8:39 pm
It happens almost EVERY time I try to access the site between midnight and 12:30am.
And yet you continue to attempt accessing the site between midnight and 12:30am. :lol:
But yeah, it's a late night thing for me as well. Has been for years (I mean the errors, not my nocturnal habits).
bobcat wrote:
April 21st, 2022, 8:03 am
Yep. These error alerts have increased exponentially recently.
I want to see your data :geek:

wildcat

Post by wildcat » May 1st, 2022, 3:40 pm

This is what I saw a couple minutes ago:

3.png
Figure I. Who is online