Interactive COVID-19 map with county data

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Joseph Elfelt

Interactive COVID-19 map with county data

Post by Joseph Elfelt » March 27th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Hopefully this will help encourage everyone to continue to cooperate by staying home.

Below is a link to an interactive COVID-19 map I produce as a public service. Data for the map comes directly from the same GIS (Geographic Information System) server that feeds the map produced by Johns Hopkins University. The team at Johns Hopkins updates the data multiple times during the day. Each time you open the map or click on a symbol, you will see the most recent data that is hosted on the GIS server.

The map has multiple GIS overlays that you can turn on/off/restack. For the USA there is one overlay that shows cases by county and a different overlay that shows deaths by county. Other overlays show cases and deaths in the USA by state, for Canada by province and for the rest of the world by country.

When the map opens, the overlay layer showing COVID-19 cases by county is displayed. If you zoom in then you should see county boundary lines. If those lines do not appear then the federal GIS server hosting that data is likely too busy.

Looking for the legend? Need help? Please read the "Map tips" - link in upper left corner.

If you take a moment to read the "Map tips" then you can learn (1) how to make your own custom map links, (2) how to make any overlay clickable and (3) learn more about the data the map can display.

There are people working on developing a GIS layer that will have authoritative data on the state/county/city “stay home” orders that have been issued. When that GIS layer becomes available, then I will add it to this map.

Finally, by using a small yellow dot to show counties with 1 case and a small magenta dot to show counties with 2-9 cases, the map shows counties where the virus is just starting to get a toehold. Hopefully extra care can be taken in those areas to help prevent a fast increase in the number of cases. Doing so will help to flatten the curve.

Open GISsurfer map:
https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer ... opkins.txt

BurnsideBob

Re: Interactive COVID-19 map with county data

Post by BurnsideBob » March 31st, 2020, 6:20 am

Joseph:

Thanks for creating this tool for following the pandemic.

Gmap4 was folded because of Google's fees to access mapping data. Is your Covid-19 map exempted from the fees?

Thanks for your mapping contributions. You rock.

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 31st, 2020, 8:04 am

BurnsideBob wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 6:20 am
Gmap4 was folded because of Google's fees to access mapping data. Is your Covid-19 map exempted from the fees?
It uses Leaflet, not Google Maps.

drm

Post by drm » April 1st, 2020, 6:04 pm

Joseph Elfelt wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Hopefully this will help encourage everyone to continue to cooperate by staying home.
If anything more is needed for that, the US just passed the 1000 deaths/day threshold and the UW model says we will stay there for for over 5 weeks, peaking well over 2000/day in 2 or 3 weeks.

Joseph Elfelt

Post by Joseph Elfelt » April 7th, 2020, 5:21 am

I just checked my gmail spam folder and found the replies to the map I posted. Sorry I did not see them sooner. I told google that msgs from this forum are not spam so hopefully I will now see alerts to any replies in a more timely manner.

As Adam mentioned, the maps I produce now use the Leaflet map API which is both free and open-source.