Climbing in Underpants.

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Guy

Climbing in Underpants.

Post by Guy » September 18th, 2017, 5:54 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-north- ... e=facebook

I too have climbed Snowdon but wearing more than just underpants ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Limey

Re: Climbing in Underpants.

Post by Limey » September 18th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Me too.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 20th, 2017, 4:42 pm

I spent a week working with some people who were pretty fit, but I knew I was fitter. Every morning we'd hike up a couple thousand feet to do amphibian surveys and I'd always be huffing and puffing in last place. It was probably October and it was raining. I wore rain gear.

On the last day I finally figured out I was overheating and only wore my long johns, thin capilene stuff, and packed the rest up. I was first up there and was wondering why everyone was so slow that day.

It got cold and I kept the thermal clothing off as long as I could as I wanted my undies to dry. In the end, everyone else got cold and I was fine. We left anyway.

I also purposefully put myself in a bit of a difficult situation last year. I wanted a challenge and chose to do Mt. Defiance in early November. I left the TH at noon (forcing myself to hike out in the dark) and wore just shorts and a merino t-shirt for 38° rain (I brought clothing and gear to spend the night if something went wrong). I was pretty warm going up Defiance but at some point I noticed my hands were pretty cold and I was soaked. I decided to put more clothing on while I still had the judgement to put more clothing on.

I hear hypothermia is one of the better ways to go, at least after the part where you're really cold for a while.
- Michael

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 22nd, 2017, 8:16 am

Hmmm. This wandering around in your undies must be more of a Portland thing. We'd never do that down here - unless of course they were by RealTree! ;) :)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 22nd, 2017, 9:03 am