Instagram as a positive force?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
jessbee

Re: Instagram as a positive force?

Post by jessbee » August 13th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Aimless wrote:I think everyone should have to do lots of community service in their formative years so they can see how much work it is to clean up after people who destroy public lands and private property. Maybe make them think twice about adding to the problem.

It depends. If the young people felt like their community service was in the nature of an unearned and unjust punishment, it might just make them resentful and sullen, and inspire them to seek 'revenge' on society for treating them so unfairly. To work as you envision, it would have to be a positive experience they found satisfaction in.
Totally. But it should be a "normal" part of growing up. Not a punishment. Anyway some people are going to grow up to be dicks no matter what you do, but I think most kids would really benefit from having some experience taking part in making their community better and being invested in the people and places around them.

It doesn't stop with kids! Adults can easily join any of a number of service organizations and nonprofits that do trail building, cleanup, education, etc. But I wonder how many actually do.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos