A brief lesson in how NOT to park at the Dog Mtn trailhead

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
greglief

A brief lesson in how NOT to park at the Dog Mtn trailhead

Post by greglief » June 3rd, 2017, 4:26 pm

Witnessed Friday 6/2 at 6:00 am. There were still DOZENS of empty spots, yet this driver chose to park in one of the driving lanes. Both the Skamania County Sheriff and I were completely mystified by this person's intent. If they were trying to make a statement about the parking situation, it probably cost them several hundred dollars by the time they retrieved their car from the tow lot. (Also, for what *very* little it was worth, they did not have a NWFP or day use pass.)
bad_dog_mountain_parking_job_1.jpg
bad_dog_mountain_parking_job_2.JPG
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Aimless

Re: A brief lesson in how NOT to park at the Dog Mtn trailhe

Post by Aimless » June 3rd, 2017, 5:14 pm

Small possibility they were in neutral and forget to set the car's hand brake, so it re-parked itself into a more comfortable position. :D

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 3rd, 2017, 5:18 pm

This'll be the same person who lays out a picnic lunch... across the trail.

greglief

Post by greglief » June 3rd, 2017, 7:53 pm

squidvicious wrote:This'll be the same person who lays out a picnic lunch... across the trail.
HA HA HA!

Speaking of the trail, while descending the initial switchbacks I encountered something unexpected and disgusting... a fresh dog turd. Much as I bemoan the little plastic dog turd bags, those are preferable to this alternative. Just because it's called Dog Mountain doesn't mean... uh... :shock:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 3rd, 2017, 9:52 pm

parked while dark and confused by the markings perhaps?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 4th, 2017, 8:43 pm

squidvicious wrote:This'll be the same person who lays out a picnic lunch... across the trail.
I kid you not, I once encountered a tent set up on a trail. It was predawn, I was hiking along by headlamp, paying attention to just the ten feet in front of me, and I nearly walked right into the tent.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » June 6th, 2017, 9:00 am

No possibility the car "just rolled forward." If you look at the line behind the car, the vehicle would have been straddling two spaces.

More likely possibility that the car was parked in the dark and the driver thought he was to the left of the no parking area since I read in an earlier report that a 5:30 am (sunrise) arrival time places you at #13 on the ascent list. I've heard from retired hikers that a Tuesday or Wednesday hike is no less crowded than a Saturday hike of 10 years ago on Dog Mtn.

Personally, I've summited Dog Mtn over 40 times...none in the past 5 years. I'm still not certain if I should be more saddened with my lack of energy/desire to tackle the steep grade, or more pleased that I am unwilling to tackle the congestion at the TH and on the trail.

Just to rub it in: I saw not a single human on my first Dog Mtn hike on a pleasant weekend day in October 1989 or 1990. On my last 4 hikes up Dog Mtn, I swear that we could have held hands and formed a human chain from summit to parking lot...ugh.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 6th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Webfoot wrote:parked while dark and confused by the markings perhaps?
My thoughts that he was confused as well. Perhaps the driver hadn't been there in awhile. It seems once upon a time that was an okay place to park.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 6th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Wait, was this those the same kids who made a fire in the middle of the Munra trail, with precut wood and canned goods, because they "got a bit hungry?"
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 6th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Bosterson wrote:Wait, was this those the same kids who made a fire in the middle of the Munra trail, with precut wood and canned goods, because they "got a bit hungry?"
I have to admit, that beats my tent story. :lol:
BigBear wrote:Just to rub it in: I saw not a single human on my first Dog Mtn hike on a pleasant weekend day in October 1989 or 1990. On my last 4 hikes up Dog Mtn, I swear that we could have held hands and formed a human chain from summit to parking lot...ugh.
I haven't seen anybody on my last few trips, except the last few feet to the "top". Just depends what route you take. ;)

Even my last descent on trail was pretty peaceful, owing to wind and rain and lack of flowers.