1953 The Fog over Portland TV issue

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chase

1953 The Fog over Portland TV issue

Post by Chase » January 17th, 2017, 8:44 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sck8Ym8gRQ0

If you like seeing old broadcasts about Portland.

Waffle Stomper

Re: 1953 The Fog over Portland TV issue

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 19th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Love the dramatic music.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 19th, 2017, 7:47 pm

I liked the experts. Their clothing. They just stood there and fairly boringly said their piece. People trusted experts more back then.

Jim Wagner

Post by Jim Wagner » February 7th, 2017, 11:27 am

Wow -

I was around in 1953 when all that happened - maybe 6th Grade? I remember that our local dealer, just a block or so away, had piles of tuner strips thrown away to make room for the UHF tuner strips that needed to be added. I don't remember much chaos over the whole thing. Our family didn't get a TV for maybe another 10 years or so.

The film was obviously made for dealers. This is especially obvious at the very end. Also, some of the technical details, while a bit foggy themselves (I am an Electronic Engineer), were also aimed at dealers and repairmen (all male, then).

This all changed with the advent of color TV (having to twiddle with color correction controls), then, finally "solid state" tuners that managed all 70-odd channels, far better than the old turret tuners. There was one glaring (to me) error, where they described the VHF channel arrangement. There is no Channel 1 and there has been none since before WWII. There were plans for a Channel 1, built around England's channel plan, but it had problems for TV and ended up being assigned to amateur (ham) use in general communications.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2017, 11:47 am

Thanks for posting this video. We didn't have a TV until '55 so I was oblivious to all the details but remember well how difficult it was to keep the set tuned in until technology solved the many problems.

I've moved on from TV and gave the thing away in '03 and never looked back. I put in a home theater with a twelve foot screen hooked up to my computer, a VHS player and a Blu-ray player. (Well, briefly, when HD came in a few years ago I signed up for a promo offer but TV was just as bad as I remembered it, maybe worse: Twice as many ads as in the earlier day, ad volume cranked up when one came on, inane commercials - to boot, and very, very few shows I found interesting. If there's something I really want to see, I just wait until it's out on DVD and simply buy it. Hiking, climbing and exploring are way more fun!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller