Research for a hiking-related novel: SAR? law enforcement?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
AAdamsPDX

Research for a hiking-related novel: SAR? law enforcement?

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 13th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Because I want to live in hiking land in my head even when I can't be on the trail, I've started a novel about a hiker who goes missing, and the people involved with or interested in the search. Let's just say foul play is soon suspected, and all is not as it appears. Lots of hiking and backpacking and poring over maps ensues, both through official channels and just friends/family wanting to help.

As research, I would like to interview (in person or via PM) individual(s) involved in SAR, as well as anyone who can tell me about procedures when a person goes missing vs. when foul play is immediately suspected. Maybe someone who knows about SAR from the law enforcement side (a sheriff's office?). If any of the above descriptions fit you or someone you know and you would be willing to talk with me, shoot me a PM. Or feel free to wax eloquent below.

Reading suggestions are also welcome! I've already read The Last Season by Eric Blehm and Lost in the Wild by Cary Griffith, wherein I learned about things like the Mattson Consensus, Probability of Area, etc. Fascinating stuff. Not sure if search theory is applied in the same way in foul play scenarios as in events when hikers are presumed injured, etc. But that's why I'm asking for help: I don't know what I don't know!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

forestkeeper

Re: Research for a hiking-related novel: SAR? law enforcemen

Post by forestkeeper » December 14th, 2016, 12:20 am

You should PM Lurch, here on Oregon Hikers. He's a sergeant with the Multnomah County SAR team. :)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 14th, 2016, 8:33 am

Not a Sgt, I'm on the volunteer side of things. But been doing it about 18 years at this point.

Kick me a PM and we can chat

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 16th, 2016, 7:21 am

Thank you both! Lurch, I sent you a PM.

If anyone else has guidance or favorite books about searches and/or hiking and outdoor survival generally, I'd love to hear anything you want to share.

MtHood_Oregon

Post by MtHood_Oregon » January 2nd, 2017, 10:45 pm

Mt. Hood National Forest is mostly in Clackamas County and Clackamas County Sheriff have a Search and Rescue Unit - Sean Collinson heads that up. Then they call out the volunteer rescue groups - most of all Portland Mt. Rescue (PMR) folks. They are also supported by Mountain Wave Communications. There are other rescue groups that also get called out. Those would be the folks to talk to if you are writing a book and want the straight scoop.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 3rd, 2017, 5:58 am

That sounds like the story about someone pushed off Eagle Creek and killed, probably next to the viewpoint that slid

Isn't someone currently being charged, trial pending?

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 3rd, 2017, 3:22 pm

MtHood_Oregon wrote:Those would be the folks to talk to if you are writing a book and want the straight scoop.
Thanks for the tip!

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 3rd, 2017, 3:46 pm

retired jerry wrote:That sounds like the story about someone pushed off Eagle Creek and killed, probably next to the viewpoint that slid
Wow, I remember hearing about a woman who fell to her death but somehow missed hearing about the later murder charge.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 3rd, 2017, 7:19 pm

I only vaguely remember, I think they're currently taking some legal action against him, maybe it's over...

Chase

Post by Chase » January 3rd, 2017, 9:13 pm