I found airplane wreckage on Shellrock Mountain (gorge)

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

I found airplane wreckage on Shellrock Mountain (gorge)

Post by Chip Down » July 24th, 2016, 7:26 pm

My first thought when I saw this: Hey, cool, some sort of fabricated sheet-metal thing. I love finding stuff like this in the woods.

My second thought: I wonder what Don Nelson Nelsen knows about this.

My third thought: Damn, is that a...it is! An airplane!

I couldn't find anything on the www about this, which isn't surprising. It looks like it's been here for maybe 20 years (wild guess) so it wouldn't be on the www in the form of news reports.

This is probably the coolest thing I've found in the woods, although I'd have to give that some thought before awarding the gold medal.

I wasn't carrying GPS, and it was very remote. I could probably find it again, but it would take a while. Pretty rugged and remote, densely forested, steep, not really any terribly distinctive landmarks nearby.
Attachments
IMG_20160722_131147319.jpg
IMG_20160722_131015146.jpg
IMG_20160722_130747300_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160722_130619066_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160722_130317389_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160722_130240720_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160722_130002067.jpg
Last edited by Chip Down on July 24th, 2016, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Re: I found airplane wreckage on Shellrock Mountain (gorge)

Post by Don Nelsen » July 24th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Chip Down wrote:My second thought: I wonder what Don Nels[e]n knows about this...
I don't know anything about this but, wow, what a find! I'd love to check this out but first, you should call the Hood River Co. Sheriff and check with the FFA and see if they are aware of it. You should go back and get a good GPS location and I'm willing to help on this.

dn

PS, Did you get a tail number of anything off the data plate? (Data plate usually on the tail somewhere.)

(edit for typos)
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 29th, 2016, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Post by Guy » July 24th, 2016, 8:57 pm

Chip, any Red / Orange crosses on the wreckage? If so then the wreckage is known about if not then perhaps not! Another good test is was the engine there? if know about they always take the engine out but often leave the rest of the wreckage. If the engine is there and there are no crosses then you should definitely notify authorities.

Good find!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 24th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Oops, sorry about the name spelling, Don.

No Orange/red crosses that I recall. I wasn't aware of that practice, so I didn't look.

The lack of cockpit/engine made me think it was known. I did poke around a bit to see if they were nearby. But yeah, now that I think about it, it's possible they're out there too, maybe even with human remains inside :? :shock: :|

I'll see what the authorities say about it.

No number stenciled on the tail, but I didn't know about the plate.

I'm thinking it's probably in the yellow zone in the pic below. I might go back again (my to do list is short, and there are still a couple spots on Shellrock I haven't explored) or if not I can provide some details on what I was doing when I stumbled into this, which might enable somebody else to find it.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

Peder

Post by Peder » July 24th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Very cool find! Congratulations!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 25th, 2016, 9:13 am

Chip, thanks for the additional info and the map. Instruments and engines are always taken out after a crash to help determine cause, at the least, but with those gone, I agree with Guy: it is likely known to authorities. However, small planes are light but the engine/cockpit are heavy and could easily have torn away and ended up some distance away. When Steve Fossett crashed a few years ago, his engine was found 300 feet away from the initial impact site. (granted, he was going much faster than this plane was going!)

In looking at all my Shellrock Mt. GPS tracks, I've not been in the area you circled and would love to check this out.

thanks for posting this!

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Limey

Post by Limey » July 25th, 2016, 9:39 am

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 25th, 2016, 10:13 am

Limey wrote:Is it possible that this is it?
http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/03/14/ ... 448088400/
Thanks for digging this up. I didn't know about this crash. It could be about the right age from the photos Chip posted but Viento Ridge is about three miles away and about 800' higher in altitude than what Chip found. Still, I remember when the DC8 crashed in Portland back in 1978, the news media was purposely given an erroneous location to keep onlookers away. Doesn't seem necessary for something like a light plane crash but who knows.

Now I need to go explore viento ridge more, :(
dn

Limey

Post by Limey » July 25th, 2016, 11:46 am

Yes Don, I thought it was too far away too but the article said The Viento Ridge AREA, and what Chip found definitely looks like the remains of a Piper. Just another one of those Gorge Mysteries.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » July 25th, 2016, 7:09 pm

From 1958, I think this is the story.

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White