Flag Point Lookout vandalism

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
justpeachy

Flag Point Lookout vandalism

Post by justpeachy » June 21st, 2016, 5:31 pm

I got word today from Recreation.gov that my November reservation for Flag Point lookout has been canceled. The Forest Service is removing it from the rental program due to excessive vandalism. It's so bad that they're not even staffing it this summer. I tried all day to get through to the Barlow Ranger Station so I could find out more, but I kept getting voicemail.

Although I'm disappointed about my canceled reservation, I'm more disappointed in the human race and the utterly disgraceful behavior of a few bad apples. What the heck is wrong with people? :x

mreha

Re: Flag Point Lookout vandalism

Post by mreha » June 21st, 2016, 6:39 pm

I'm both disgusted and not surprised...the last time I stayed in a lookout, someone had abandoned a ton of gear and (more importantly) food in the lookout when they left. Rodents had gotten in and shredded all the sleeping bags and pillows, crapped all over the floor, and naturally eaten the food. It took several hours to clean up and, of course, there was nowhere to put the giant mound of garbage (I had hiked 11 miles in and wasn't about to haul it all back out) so I ended up putting it in the woodshed. And, of course, the rodents were still there, and had a grand time running all over me all night while I slept. They (the people, not the rodents :lol: ) probably meant well ("I'll leave some stuff for the next person!") but even unintentionally, people can be...not so smart sometimes.

But I'm curious how much the FS thinks this will help? If people are vandalizing the lookout, are they necessarily the people who are reserving it? And if they're already breaking the law, will officially closing it keep them away?

mreha

Post by mreha » June 21st, 2016, 6:45 pm

By the way, speaking of lookouts, I saw your trip report the other day for Snow Camp Lookout (from a few years ago) - my father was one of the volunteers that rebuilt that one! I used to spend a lot of time up there, but I haven't been back since it was rebuilt so it was cool to see some pics of it.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 21st, 2016, 6:47 pm

It seems more likely that the FS recognizes that they don't have the resources to prevent the vandalism and renting a vandalized lookout won't result in happy customers, who will then become another problem they must deal with.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 21st, 2016, 7:34 pm

If I remember correctly, I believe that the recorded message I heard when I answered the auto-call from Recreation.gov said that the Forest Service was going to remove the lookout entirely.

(CORRECTION: I must have misheard the recording; they are not removing the lookout.)

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 21st, 2016, 7:40 pm

justpeachy wrote:If I remember correctly, I believe that the recorded message I heard when I answered the auto-call from Recreation.gov said that the Forest Service was going to remove the lookout entirely.
Wow - that is even sadder.... :cry:

I can't even begin to understand why people think it is OK or fun to do this kind of stuff.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 21st, 2016, 7:41 pm

If they can't protect it, then it kind of rates as "an attractive nuisance" for vandals. It's a damn shame they feel they have to remove it now.

Fred B.

Post by Fred B. » June 21st, 2016, 8:12 pm

Ughhh !! We've rented it a couple times in the past.

If they are no longer going to staff it during fire season, how are they going to monitor that area for fires? Was the staff person a volunteer or paid?

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 21st, 2016, 11:19 pm

Awful news for sure.

Kinda surprised me too. I was last up in the lookout 2 years back and it was in perfect shape. This vandalism must have been somewhat recent??

Guy

Post by Guy » June 22nd, 2016, 5:01 am

It sure would be nice to see this vandalism and what was done. The FS response seems very odd to me, by cancelling reservations for next fall and not staffing this Summer implies that they plan to make no repairs this year. Is it then just going to be left to be further vandalized or destroyed by weather?

I can't help but wonder if there is another back story here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors