Great Gray Owl in NE Oregon

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
dcammack

Great Gray Owl in NE Oregon

Post by dcammack » June 6th, 2016, 9:19 pm

I was on a Oregon Birding Association field trip last weekend in NE Oregon, near La Grande. We were looking for Great Gray Owls. They nest this time of year. We were lucky to find one adult and three fledglings. The young owls are still being taken care of by the parent but will probably disperse during the next couple of days.

These owls are large - up to 3ft when fully grown. They like wet meadows were they hunt small mammals. They are rare but can be found in NE Oregon or down in the Medford area.

To see a video I uploaded to youtube click on the link below:

http://youtu.be/U7XkINn6gdc

Waffle Stomper

Re: Great Gray Owl in NE Oregon

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 7th, 2016, 6:14 am

Gorgeous owl, thank you for sharing.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 7th, 2016, 11:51 am

As crazy as it may seem, a great gray owl spent a couple of months in the heavily wooded park near my house in Lake Oswego in the late summer of 2014. There is a wetland and a large pasture next to the park. It was seen by my wife more than once, including quite close up for almost a quarter hour, and it was spotted by several others at other times. It was a positive identification. We knew this was an extreme rarity. We talked about it often. She called the owl Gigi. :)

Catpeedontherug

Post by Catpeedontherug » July 18th, 2016, 6:49 pm

I work out in that area. I love seeing them!!! Gorgeous!