The beauty of Velcro

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
vibramhead

The beauty of Velcro

Post by vibramhead » May 16th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Okay, so maybe some folks weren't moved by the beauty of the tick. To atone for my offense, I give you the beauty of that magical invention upon which all hikers rely, Velcro:

Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

texasbb

Re: The beauty of Velcro

Post by texasbb » May 16th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Lovely.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 17th, 2016, 5:26 am

nice! very interesting, now I know.

someone has a new camera with super duper macro capability?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 17th, 2016, 5:42 am

I hate velcro almost as much as I hate ticks. And it's absolutely ubiquitous, even more than ticks.
I do love the humor of the OP though.
Ah! It's Velcro. I can't stand Velcro. That tearing sound. I used to be in raincoats. I refused to put that in any of my lines.
-Morty Seinfeld, Jerry's fictional father

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 17th, 2016, 8:38 am

Sorry, still can't call it beautiful. However, you do win points for detail and interest. I did not know how velcro worked.

Maybe future topics could include tiny little flowers that are barely noticeable at a full standing position. There are some orange-peach micro flowers that would probably fare well under super-micro examination.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 17th, 2016, 9:53 am

Perhaps Velcro can be coaxed to provide a bit of aesthetic pleasure in a photograph, but as a fastener it leaves a lot to be desired. Clothing manufacturers love it because it saves them a few cents per application. I hate it. Velcro loses its grab very quickly. I won't put anything I value into a pocket fastened with velcro, because it won't stay fastened. Buttons in buttonholes last much longer, are field-repairable and fasten far more reliably. I say "nuts!" to Velcro.

Limey

Post by Limey » May 18th, 2016, 9:18 am

Love the picture. The secret to extending the life of velcro is to make sure you keep it cleaned out. It tends to gather lint and hair and anything else it can grab. I pick out any of the aforementioned with a straight pin. I have articles with velcro fastenings that are still good after years of use.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 18th, 2016, 9:26 am

I have articles with buttons and buttonholes that are still good after more than a decade of use. I never had to poke at them with a straight pin, either. ;)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 19th, 2016, 6:35 am

This is an image that sticks with me.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Koda

Post by Koda » May 19th, 2016, 7:55 am

minus 1 for velcro, I avoid it in any technical outdoor garment on the level of pocket zippers that close down....

when I see either of those features on an outdoor garment I recognize the item as something of the designers lack of experience outdoors and usually make a mental note to avoid the rest of their product line for serious outdoor wear...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2